Deer Hunting Forums banner

Custom Deer Grunt Call

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Eliasrker 
#1 ·
Hello, would like to introduce myself, My name is Brian Ferguson and I make custom deer grunt calls made out of wood.
My 5 way adjustable deer grunt call makes 5 different sounds from a fawn bleat to mature dominant buck sound. All my calls are custom made 1 call at a time.
Come by and see them at:
HOME

Thanks,
Brian

#3 ·
I looked at your web site and your calls look nice. How long have you been making them? Wood density can affect the sound. How much sound difference do you get if any on the wood variety you offer? Do your reeds load up quickly with moisture and stop working. I would appreciate your responses to the above and maybe we'll do some business. Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
I have been making deer calls for 6 years, just started selling them last year to people. I had my hunting friends test them in a couple of states, Indiana, Kentucky and Illinoise. The wood density does not really make that big of a difference, because most of my woods are a very dense wood. The hedge, cocoblo, purpleheart are a very dense wood, that gets the sound out, the ash would be the next hardest wood, then the zebrawood, But, several guys love the zebrawood because it does make a good sound. The black Walnut does sound good, I prefer the hedge and cocobolo wood myself, but I have hunted over all the woods I have listed and and had killed deer with all the woods, went through a bunch of different types of woods before I narrowed it down to these woods. I feel these woods give a great sound.
Overall, all the woods make a great sound, I like the ones mentioned and they all sound good, just those woods are denser and have a tighter grain than the others, so it reflects the sound better. As far as loading up with moisture, there is allways moisture, but never had one stop working, year before last it was cold down here and never had a problem. But I really do not get on the call like a duck calls, couple of grunts every 5 min. seem to work well for me.

Feel free to ask more questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.