Deer Hunting Forums banner

Is this round adequate for deer?

9K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  marcel909 
#1 ·
I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. I would like to take a deer with it. Would my Speer 45 Colt 250 grain Gold Dot HP be adequate for deer up to say 50 yards?

#3 ·
I also have .45 ACP hollow points, but I definitely would use the .45 Colt Gold Dots. I don't have a scope on it but I believe I can keep in the kill zone up to 50 yards with it.

#8 · (Edited)
You failed to mention the velocity of this round but, the old formula for deer is 40 calber with a bullet of at least 200 grains moving at least 1000 fps=40/20/1000. I know some will inevitably disagree with this but it's always worked for me.
Steve

#10 ·
The 45LC is almost as good as a 454 Casull

If the story is remember is correct the 454 casull came about because some shooters kept pushing the 45LC faster and faster. Some of the weaker Colt models blew up. Using Ruger Blackhawks the shooters got scary velocities and pressures. With the 454 casull they got heavy based brass and thick chambers to give them back the safety factor they had used up. Also a 454 casull will not chamber in a 45LC pistol. My reloading manuals list two loading for the 45LC. One for colt single actions and one for the stronger Ruger blackhawks. Some may also list a third for double action Colt and S&W revolvers. Your 45LC will kill very well any Deer sized animal.

Karl

#11 ·
If the story is remember is correct the 454 casull came about because some shooters kept pushing the 45LC faster and faster. Some of the weaker Colt models blew up. Using Ruger Blackhawks the shooters got scary velocities and pressures. With the 454 casull they got heavy based brass and thick chambers to give them back the safety factor they had used up. Also a 454 casull will not chamber in a 45LC pistol. My reloading manuals list two loading for the 45LC. One for colt single actions and one for the stronger Ruger blackhawks. Some may also list a third for double action Colt and S&W revolvers. Your 45LC will kill very well any Deer sized animal.
Karl
Yes, it was a guy by the name of Dick Casull in the 1950s. He used three different powders to propel his bullet(adviced against today). He also, help with development of the Freedom Arms revolvers.
Steve
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.