Scope Question - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Handgun Hunting

Old 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Scrub Buck

Question Scope Question

I just bought a new handgun and I am thinking about a red dot scope for it. I dont know much about those scopes,I see different dot size which would be the best for squirrel without spending a lot of money. Any help would be appreciated. The gun is a Ruger mk111 22/45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a $50 red dot on my 44 mag and my 50 cal Vortek pistol. The one on the Vortek is a Center Point . The one on my 44 is a Tasco. I had people tell me they would not last but both have. I have put close to 100 rounds through the 44 with that sight and it hasnt come off center. 30-40 rounds through the Vortek with the same results.
If you want pictures let me know.

The dot sizes are measured in MOA. The smaller the better for a small animal. The smaller the dot, generally the more expensive. I think both of mine are 5 MOA.

If you got a 5 MOA dot and shot at 50 yards, the dot would probably be bigger than the body of the squirrel ( dot size would be about 2.5 inches). A 2 MOA would be better (dot size about 1 inch).

At the price of the 5 MOA red dots it might be worthwhile to pick one up and play with it to see if it meets (meats! :) )your needs. Once you figure out where the bullet hits within that circle you may be able to hit a squirrel 2 out of 3 times. If you only shoot at 25 yards you may be just fine.

Last edited by Crawdaddy; 10-25-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice ,I went with a 3moa dot it has four different sight pictures . dot-circle dot -cross dot -circle cross. works great have taken squirrel to 30 yds.so far. THANKS AGAIN lwb