Deer Hunting Forums banner

Old ww1 colt question

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a co-worker that had a Colt 45 that was handed down the line. He is curious how rare it is or how valuable. He has no knowledge of the gun other than he thinks it was issued in World War 1, maybe to a grandparent that wasnt suppose to keep it? Somewhere along the lines it was probably taken when it was not suppose to be. We are deducting that because it looks like the serial numbers were scratched off.

Here are the numbers on the piece.

Any of yall have any insight on this piece or can point me to an article about it? Im figuring without the serial number it may be very hard. I can ask him if he can try and make out any of them at all if having few numbers would help.

Thanks much

G
#2 · (Edited)
HTC manufactures poh

HTC manufactures pohnes that also use the new Windows Mobile 7 system in fact, they just released a couple of new pohnes using Windows.However, HTC was the first cell manufacturer to use Android (on the T-Mobile G1) and has been the most prolific supporter of the system. Due to HTC's successes, Morotola, Samsung, Sony and others have jumped on the Android bandwagon in a big way.The Desire HD is a terrific device. The specifications are very similar to my HTC-built Google Nexus One (which is no longer available). The screen is large with great resolution, it has every other feature you would want, along with a faster processor that you'll find on the iPhone.The major difference from the Desire is more internal memory and a higher resolution camera (8 Mp vs the 5 MP on the Desire). My Nexus One has a 5 MP, and the pictures and videos are incredible, so I can imagine how good they look on the HD.There are more that 80,000 apps and items available on the Android Market. Many are free and even the non-free apps are usually low cost.Don't follow the iPhone lemmings and settle. Get the Desire HD.

#3 ·
Any pictures that he might be able to provide would be worth more than a thousand words. Can't do much without pictures. The numbers are a bit confusing as well. The Colt M-1911 is just that, they started using it in 1911 after finding that the old .38 cal revolver was useless against the Moro Indians in the Phillipine Islands. Any information you can get as to where those numbers are located and on what pieces the numbers are stamped would be a great help in identifying it.

Early Colts that pre-date WWI are near priceless antiques (for lack of a better word), especially if they are in decent condition. Next time I head for TN, I can bring along one of its newer 'cousins'. It may not be a Colt, but it's definitely an M1911, and of WWII vintage.

#4 ·
BF, if you can see any other words letters, ect maybe be able to identify. Check for things like commercial, Government, value is all over the place based on specific model and where it was produced, ie country. There were many contracts for 1911 models all over the world.

#6 ·
Thanks fellows. He is suppose to email me some pictures and provide a little more detail for me.

Looking around at some websites about them I have seen there are a blue million of these dudes around. Maybe we will get lucky and it will be an oldie.

#7 ·
Serial number on my "oldie" is on the right hand side of the frame slightly above and behind the trigger. It's a Remington-Rand with the serial number dating it back to late '43 to early '44.

Yup, lots of these jewels were made over the years, lots more during the 'war' years.

But the M1911 has been called the 'Greatest Pistol in the World', serving our country's military for almost 75 years before "someone" decided that it needed to be replaced by the current M9-9mm. Seems like "someone" forgot the reason we went to the .45 cal round over the .38/9mm in the first place. There's a definite reason that most law enforcement now uses either .40 or .45, something that "someone" should consider the next time "they" decide what is best for our troops.

#9 ·
Cool M1911 Forum

Hey BF,

If you ever get more info on that old pistol of your buddy's, let me know. I found a "new" forum for "just" M1911's. There's an entire section for military versions and a whole bunch of folks with a heck of a lot more knowledge of the things than I have. There's guys in there that have forgotten more about the M1911 than I learned about it in my 20 years of service.

The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

#11 ·
Next time I'm in that neck of the woods, I just may bring this one along to play with even if only for a few rounds or so. There's something to be said of owning a little piece of history, but I can only imagine what it would be like to get hit by 230 grains of .45 ACP. I'm just glad that I'm on the trigger end instead of the business end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.