Deer Hunting Forums banner

357 mag for deer???

16K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  lwb 
#1 ·
i have a s&w 357mag has 8 and three eights barrel i would like to hunt deer with it i've been at the range shooting is a 50yd shot to far i am get good at 50yds but 25 is better

#2 ·
so assuming your asking the question. is a .357mag good for deer hunting?my answer is yes. they make a 180gr. hunting bullet. that would do the trick nicley. as for if your asking what range its good for. take an 8 inch paper plate out to the range and find out how far away you can shoot at it from and hit every time. then cut that distance in 1/2. and that would be the max distance i would shoot at a deer with it.

#5 ·
I would agree. HOWEVER, i know in WV the minimum pistol is a .357, with a 6" barrel. I shoot dads .357 all the time, but if i were to head out with a pistol, it would be the Ruger SuperRedhawk sitting in the gun cabinet. with 300 GR hornady XTP's, i wouldnt have a doubt that it would kill a deer. hell, my uncle dropped a bear with it...

#10 ·
Yup, bought me a Ruger Blackhawk over 30 years ago for just that purpose - them two legged varmints. Still have the thing in my gun safe. Mama likes it too, even named it for me -- Sandy -- just don't ask me where she got the name for it. Ain't got a clue!

As for using it for deer? Nah! Got too many other toys that work a whole lot better. :wink:

#11 ·
blackhawk for two legged varmit? why a six shot, single action revolver for that. that gun would be an awsome hunting gun, but for 2 legged varmit.... id atleast have a double action for that. my 2 legged varmit guns are my taurs modle 85ul 38 spc. (like 1.5inch barrle, waighs like 11 oz.. great for cc) and my S&W sigma .40 (15 shot .40cal)

#20 ·
i also have a sigma in 40 cal i love it but i love all guns with s&w stamped on them it's also good to hear that tbighunter shot a buck with his 357 i'm going to use it this year and i will keep the shots under 50yds all this in put was helpful glad i joined this club thanks

#21 ·
its just a 9mm. after they got it they asked me if i would have reccomended it, but i couldnt knock it til i tried it. i really didnt know, but that probably wouldnt have been my recommendation for a first gun. its just for self defense and range time. i told her i would have probably recommended a smaller S&W .380, or maybe a Lady Smith 9..... but, we got it out to the range, and she was actually really good with it. i wasnt really all that impressed, but it was a smith so i was happy. she shot my S&W M&P40 and she liked it. asked me if i wanted to trade...im sure you know my answer...hahaha....thanks for the help guys.

B

#24 ·
just an update i took out the 357 four days now and i got a nice sized doe i took her right around 40 yds she went about 80 yds before she dropped i used a 158 grain hollow point from hornady thanks everyone for the info i think i'm hooked on hand gun hunting and now i must start shopping for the next gun maybe a s&w 500 see if i can break my wrists or a t/c contender

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.