Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Handgun Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/handgun-hunting/)
-   -   what to do... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/handgun-hunting/3750-what-do.html)

Bucky1570 04-05-2009 02:49 PM

what to do...

Hey ive got a question for all you pro hunters. I just recently bought a Taurus model 66 .357 with a 6 1/2" barrell and i was wondering would it be worth it to have it drilled and tapped for a scope mount? Also would a simmons prohunter scope be ok to use? I bought this gun to carry as a side arm when out hunting and thought what the heck i might as well try to get that big one with it. So any kind of feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks

ronn 04-05-2009 03:58 PM

Hi there,Firstly, th

Hi there,Firstly, thanks so much for this great pluign I am a developer myself and this site is an experiment to test the quickest and most stable way to make a blog. Your pluign is definitely no 1 in its field and I have tried them all!!! So I thank you!Just have a small issue. I just updated it and the icons have all been swapped around, both big and small. If you have a look you might see. Twitter has blogger, facebook has feedburner and so on I can easily go into the database or code and fix all these problems but I thought you might know what went wrong and maybe be able to give me an easier solution Thanks very much again!Jono

Hunting Man 04-05-2009 04:05 PM

:surprised:..... and I thought I was ready for the pro circuit. Back up for what? I think a 357 would be very marginal for deer sized animals. I have a Colt Trooper M3 next to the bed but I wouldn't consider carrying it for 4 legged creatures. For hunting I would start at 44 mag and go up from there. No pro's here maybe a few wanta be's :ph34r:

BruceBruce1959 04-06-2009 06:42 AM

Nope , no Pro's here and I agree with huntingman, I also think the .357 is a little weak for animals the size of Deer
I also think most handgun hunters will agree that the "HANDGUN" caliber of choice for Deer should begin in the .40 Caliber range.. Good luck to you.

The Happy Kaboomer 05-09-2009 09:34 PM

I've killed several bucks with the .357. It works. My loads were 168 gr. cast bullets pushed by 15 grains of #2400. You are not undergunned however Taurus is not favored by a lot of pistolaros. The scope you mentioned will work but a Leupold is a 100 times better for distance and low light. My $0.02.

tbighunter 05-10-2009 05:00 PM

I have also killed deer with a .357.Dropped the deer in it's tracks at 60 yards.It has plenty of power for deer.I think however I would keep my shots no more than 75 yards.Mine was scoped at the time.

Whitetail_Freak_Hunter 06-24-2009 07:27 AM

I personally have not used the .357 magnum to take whitetail or antelope here in Montana, but there are several published reports of using such on whitetail and antelope out to 100 yards with it.

I had carried a S&W 629 6.5" barrel but have since retired that, and recently added the Glock 20SF, 10mm to my outdoor carry companion :thumbup:

bighorn9 06-25-2009 09:09 AM

what to do

I would definitley put a scope on it, I have used the .357 to take 4 deer, and a bear that weighed 270lbs. The deer where all within 50yrds. and the bear was less than 10 it was on one side of a logging road me on the other it was coming straight towards me when it seen me it raised up on its back legs and I shot it right in the chest. I always use winchesters hunting loads their 180 gr. hollow point made just for hunting deer sized game.

hunt NH 07-22-2009 02:26 AM

wow im suprized to hear all of this. i love taurus. i have personaly owned the model 66. my current personal defence weppon is a model 85UL 38 spc. and i trust it with my life. and 357 mag, not enuff. granted i dont live in Grizzaly countery but i bet with a quality 180 grain would knock any bear on its.... my bro inlaw still carrys my old model 66 when he is bow hunting. i now carry a ruger super red hawk 44 mag.

Dave1250 07-29-2009 06:56 PM

I will probably get in trouble but a gun is like a women. There are all kinds , you need to know how you are going to use it . And what type of game how far away you plan to shoot for beginners .