Christmas - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Handgun Hunting

Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default Christmas

Well after years of the same old gifts for the wife; furs, diamonds and the like I finally got her something practical. I hope she likes it. She shot one at the range back in the summer and really liked the weight.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
B&C 100 Class

I've been thinking seriously about getting my wife a weapon and a CHL. Especially yesterday when she told me about a creepy guy that followed her in the store, and she was sure was waiting for a chance to nab her purse.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Wow, and a Merry Christmas to Mrs. Buckshot
Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
ronn

nice i've been thinlking about the same thing. but my wife works at a school so it would stay home most of the time.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 AM

My gift ideas are like yours Buckshot, I'd love to buy my Esther a handgun but I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do.
Many women fear weapons and are easily overpowered by their attackers, I'd be afraid the attacker would take the handgun away and use it on her.
I think If I were going to buy something in the way of self defense for someone, I'd probably get them a Stun Gun, If used properly it's an effective means of escape for any man or woman plus if the attacker gets it he cant kill his victim with it.
Another thing to keep in mind is "most" women even some men don't have what it takes to muster the courage to shoot a person even if it's an attacker.

I love that S&W small frame, lighweight series,
It reaslly does say "Make My Day"

Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 AM
B&C 160 Class

Bruce I know what you mean. Just know way to know how someone will react in an attact. I plan on buy the lasser grips for it later. Something about having a lasser beam on your chest may make it where a shooting is not necessary to ward off an attact.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Bruce I know what you mean. Just know way to know how someone will react in an attact. I plan on buy the lasser grips for it later. Something about having a lasser beam on your chest may make it where a shooting is not necessary to ward off an attact.

One of the primary rules for a CHL is to not pull it out unless youre going to use it. But yeah there is no way to tell how someone will act. Thats why you should take a lesson from the Army's training doctrine. They had a huge problem in Vietnam wherein as many as 60-70% of soldiers admitteded to not firing back at the enemy when they were being shot at. So, the Army made a few adjustments to their training. These are the two biggest:

1. Use human shaped targets for target practice. At least sillouettes.
and
2. Make the deployment and usage of the weapon muscle memory by practicing it over and over and over and over ad nauseum. This takes the "thinking" and "considering" out of a very stressful situation where such hesitations have disastrous effects.

Bad Guy -> Weapon out-> sight alignment-> Trigger Squeeze -> Dead Bad guy
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
-John Stewart Mill

Last edited by Id0ntlikeyou; 12-22-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

I belong to a NRA pistol club. We have everyone - federal agents; state, county and municipal law enforcement; judges; blue collar; white collar; farmers and house wives. I strongly suggest that she take the NRA Basic Pistol course. After she has taken this course and has developed a good, consistant shot I suggest taking NRA Personal Defense Inside The Home course and then NRA Personal Defense Outside The Home course.

If you don't mind, here are two suggestions and one word of caution. If she is new to handguns buy a 22LR revolver in the same barrel length and have her practice, practice and practice some more. Then start with the 38 spl before you move to the 357 mags. You don't want her to develop a flinch. Now the word of caution. It appears the cylinder may consist of a lightweight metal alloy like titanium or scandium. Some +P, +P+ or magnum loads can be hard on these metals (erosion). Contact the manufacturer to see if they suggest staying way from certain manufactures and/or bullet weights. The ballistics in 125gr and 158gr in the magnums can vary significantly within each manufacturer or from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:41 AM
B&C 160 Class

All good advice, I can assure you that the wife is well versed in shooting many types of weapons and has spent many hours on the range. Don't tell her I said this but she's a better shot than I am.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 AM

May never need the 357 shells the 38's should be plenty, and hopefully she never needs to fire it for protection. It really is a shame our country is going this way. I agree it looks like a really nice conceal carry gun.