Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Handgun Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/handgun-hunting/)
-   -   Christmas (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/handgun-hunting/3219-christmas.html)

Buckshot 12-19-2008 10:28 AM

Christmas

Well after years of the same old gifts for the wife; furs, diamonds and the like I finally got her something practical. I hope she likes it. She shot one at the range back in the summer and really liked the weight.

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...00/airlite.jpg[/IMG]

Id0ntlikeyou 12-19-2008 10:38 AM

I've been thinking seriously about getting my wife a weapon and a CHL. Especially yesterday when she told me about a creepy guy that followed her in the store, and she was sure was waiting for a chance to nab her purse.

timberghost 12-19-2008 12:20 PM

Wow, and a Merry Christmas to Mrs. Buckshot

ronn 12-19-2008 02:27 PM

nice i've been thinlking about the same thing. but my wife works at a school so it would stay home most of the time.

BruceBruce1959 12-20-2008 08:33 AM

My gift ideas are like yours Buckshot, I'd love to buy my Esther a handgun but I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do.
Many women fear weapons and are easily overpowered by their attackers, I'd be afraid the attacker would take the handgun away and use it on her.
I think If I were going to buy something in the way of self defense for someone, I'd probably get them a Stun Gun, If used properly it's an effective means of escape for any man or woman plus if the attacker gets it he cant kill his victim with it.
Another thing to keep in mind is "most" women even some men don't have what it takes to muster the courage to shoot a person even if it's an attacker.

I love that S&W small frame, lighweight series,
It reaslly does say "Make My Day"

Buckshot 12-21-2008 07:37 AM

Bruce I know what you mean. Just know way to know how someone will react in an attact. I plan on buy the lasser grips for it later. Something about having a lasser beam on your chest may make it where a shooting is not necessary to ward off an attact.

Id0ntlikeyou 12-22-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckshot (Post 24306)
Bruce I know what you mean. Just know way to know how someone will react in an attact. I plan on buy the lasser grips for it later. Something about having a lasser beam on your chest may make it where a shooting is not necessary to ward off an attact.

One of the primary rules for a CHL is to not pull it out unless youre going to use it. But yeah there is no way to tell how someone will act. Thats why you should take a lesson from the Army's training doctrine. They had a huge problem in Vietnam wherein as many as 60-70% of soldiers admitteded to not firing back at the enemy when they were being shot at. So, the Army made a few adjustments to their training. These are the two biggest:

1. Use human shaped targets for target practice. At least sillouettes.
and
2. Make the deployment and usage of the weapon muscle memory by practicing it over and over and over and over ad nauseum. This takes the "thinking" and "considering" out of a very stressful situation where such hesitations have disastrous effects.

Bad Guy -> Weapon out-> sight alignment-> Trigger Squeeze -> Dead Bad guy

countryboy 12-23-2008 09:16 PM

I belong to a NRA pistol club. We have everyone - federal agents; state, county and municipal law enforcement; judges; blue collar; white collar; farmers and house wives. I strongly suggest that she take the NRA Basic Pistol course. After she has taken this course and has developed a good, consistant shot I suggest taking NRA Personal Defense Inside The Home course and then NRA Personal Defense Outside The Home course.

If you don't mind, here are two suggestions and one word of caution. If she is new to handguns buy a 22LR revolver in the same barrel length and have her practice, practice and practice some more. Then start with the 38 spl before you move to the 357 mags. You don't want her to develop a flinch. Now the word of caution. It appears the cylinder may consist of a lightweight metal alloy like titanium or scandium. Some +P, +P+ or magnum loads can be hard on these metals (erosion). Contact the manufacturer to see if they suggest staying way from certain manufactures and/or bullet weights. The ballistics in 125gr and 158gr in the magnums can vary significantly within each manufacturer or from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Buckshot 12-24-2008 05:41 AM

All good advice, I can assure you that the wife is well versed in shooting many types of weapons and has spent many hours on the range. Don't tell her I said this but she's a better shot than I am.:yes:

Hunting Man 12-24-2008 06:14 AM

May never need the 357 shells the 38's should be plenty, and hopefully she never needs to fire it for protection. It really is a shame our country is going this way. I agree it looks like a really nice conceal carry gun.