Deer Hunting Forums banner

Christmas

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ronn 
#1 ·
Well after years of the same old gifts for the wife; furs, diamonds and the like I finally got her something practical. I hope she likes it. She shot one at the range back in the summer and really liked the weight.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been thinking seriously about getting my wife a weapon and a CHL. Especially yesterday when she told me about a creepy guy that followed her in the store, and she was sure was waiting for a chance to nab her purse.

#5 ·
My gift ideas are like yours Buckshot, I'd love to buy my Esther a handgun but I'm not sure it would be the right thing to do.
Many women fear weapons and are easily overpowered by their attackers, I'd be afraid the attacker would take the handgun away and use it on her.
I think If I were going to buy something in the way of self defense for someone, I'd probably get them a Stun Gun, If used properly it's an effective means of escape for any man or woman plus if the attacker gets it he cant kill his victim with it.
Another thing to keep in mind is "most" women even some men don't have what it takes to muster the courage to shoot a person even if it's an attacker.

I love that S&W small frame, lighweight series,
It reaslly does say "Make My Day"

#6 ·
Bruce I know what you mean. Just know way to know how someone will react in an attact. I plan on buy the lasser grips for it later. Something about having a lasser beam on your chest may make it where a shooting is not necessary to ward off an attact.

#7 · (Edited)
Bruce I know what you mean. Just know way to know how someone will react in an attact. I plan on buy the lasser grips for it later. Something about having a lasser beam on your chest may make it where a shooting is not necessary to ward off an attact.

One of the primary rules for a CHL is to not pull it out unless youre going to use it. But yeah there is no way to tell how someone will act. Thats why you should take a lesson from the Army's training doctrine. They had a huge problem in Vietnam wherein as many as 60-70% of soldiers admitteded to not firing back at the enemy when they were being shot at. So, the Army made a few adjustments to their training. These are the two biggest:

1. Use human shaped targets for target practice. At least sillouettes.
and
2. Make the deployment and usage of the weapon muscle memory by practicing it over and over and over and over ad nauseum. This takes the "thinking" and "considering" out of a very stressful situation where such hesitations have disastrous effects.

Bad Guy -> Weapon out-> sight alignment-> Trigger Squeeze -> Dead Bad guy

#8 ·
I belong to a NRA pistol club. We have everyone - federal agents; state, county and municipal law enforcement; judges; blue collar; white collar; farmers and house wives. I strongly suggest that she take the NRA Basic Pistol course. After she has taken this course and has developed a good, consistant shot I suggest taking NRA Personal Defense Inside The Home course and then NRA Personal Defense Outside The Home course.

If you don't mind, here are two suggestions and one word of caution. If she is new to handguns buy a 22LR revolver in the same barrel length and have her practice, practice and practice some more. Then start with the 38 spl before you move to the 357 mags. You don't want her to develop a flinch. Now the word of caution. It appears the cylinder may consist of a lightweight metal alloy like titanium or scandium. Some +P, +P+ or magnum loads can be hard on these metals (erosion). Contact the manufacturer to see if they suggest staying way from certain manufactures and/or bullet weights. The ballistics in 125gr and 158gr in the magnums can vary significantly within each manufacturer or from manufacturer to manufacturer.

#9 ·
All good advice, I can assure you that the wife is well versed in shooting many types of weapons and has spent many hours on the range. Don't tell her I said this but she's a better shot than I am.:yes:

#11 ·
The 38 spl does not have that much energy in a 4" barrel, and you will lose a lot of velocity and energy with a short barrel snubby. The guidelines of most in defensive shooting is the ammo should produce at least 400 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle - this rule changes with 44 spl and 45 ACP due to the diameter and weight of the bullets. If I had to shoot someone in self defense (they may be high on drugs or are at least very determined), I would prefer a 357 mag to a 38 spl, but I would choose a magnum load that is NOT likely to exit the perp. Check out the balistics of the 38 and 357 mag on the web realizing that most of the published balistics are from a 4" vented barrel. IMO, a 9mm with +P ammo (not all 9mm are approved for +P and very few for +P+) or a 44 spl are the minimum that should be used for personal defense. Keep in mind that you must be able to consistantly hit your target with your firearm/ammo selection.

#13 ·
Women with small hands can shoot 357 mags IF the handgun fits their hand correctly, AND they are properly trained. Everyone needs to work their way up to the magnum cartridges. Personally, I would not shoot full power magnums in this gun due to the beating the gun would take. The biggest problem with some magnum loads in a defensive shooting situation is the muzzle flash (can cause temporary night blindness), muzzle blast and over-penetration. Quite often a ported barrel will increase the muzzle flash, but it can help to control the muzzle flip for quicker follow up shots.

If you are a new handgunner or are thinking about a handgun, realize that a snub nosed (short barrel) handgun should only be used by those who very experienced with handguns. We have had several public shooters come to our club with a snubby, and they have a very hard time with accuracy. A handgun with a 4 inch barrel is a good starting handgun for a person. A shorter barrel may cause accuracy problems due to the short sight radius from the front to rear sight. A longer handgun may be too barrel heavy for a beginner (need to build up the proper muscles). The most important aspects is how it fits your hand and your natural point of aim with the firearms. Always start with a 22LR. Find an NRA club and talk to the instructors. They may even arrange it so you can shoot several different handguns and/or calibers. Most gun shops (not all) will sell you anything, even if it is not the proper firearm for you.

#17 ·
Hey look at it from the other end of the gun
it could be a .22 that sucker looks like a .50 cal desert Eagle when you are staring down that barrel.
I picked up the new Ruger .380 LCP great compact concealment gun & great for people with small hands I was very impressed with the accuracy this thing puts the Kel-tech to shame
Now I just need to get it back from my wife once in a while

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.