Deer Hunting Forums banner

Handgun carrying permit?

23K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  kemster99 
#1 ·
I thought about getting my carrying permit. Just curious what yall paid for the course and how many of you have it?

G
#2 · (Edited)
Well, since your Sta

Well, since your State has over 9 million, that tells me about 2.5% of the Total Population (rough numrebs) has a CCW Permit. But if you knock off about 2 million (underage, convicted Felons, etc.), that goes up to 3.2% of the Legal Adult Population has permits. So 1 out of 30 Adults at the Mall could be legally Armed at any given time. Yet, where are the Massive Pools of Blood?Wish Ohio had your numrebs.

#3 ·
in NY you have to be a cop or a fed.almost impossible to get one here.yet another reason i want out of here:wallbash:

#7 ·
To add a little to Joels post NY is very tight/strict. It may be even tougher in the NYC area. About 10 years ago I was all setup for the law enforcement field (college degree/some great field experience) and was in the top 25 on the civil service recruitment list. Now police officers in NYS must have a valid pistol permit in order to carry. This is not a part of their police officer privilege. So I paid 150.00 for the class and then had fingerprints taken the same day which is a part of the application process. Then we're to find 4 references who are not related to you, do not have a criminal background, and live in the same township as you. So I got all the references taken care of and sent my paperwork in all within 1 week of the class. It took 8 months for a response from the Pistol Permit clerk. I then had to go into the city of Buffalo which is where all the county clerks and stuff are located to speak with an apointee of the county who basically goes over your application and asks all these questions why you want a pistol permit, your intentions, plans, views on gun control, who lives in the home with you, any family members with criminal/violent pasts, etc. It was pretty intense. Then the question which ended the entire interview----why did it take you 8 months to send in your application? It took me 1 week to send it in I replied. Well I don't know what happened here but with the app. being over 6 months old you'll have to take another permit course and redo the entire process. I was more sad than angry. So I think NY is the toughest to get one.

#13 ·
Took mine back in '07. Costed about $125 for the class, plus $125 in state fees. Ouch. It hurt, but now I carry my S.A. micro compact 1911.everywhere not prohibited by law. And its good for 10 years. Half the price to renew.

Texas is pushing for Open Carry now too.

I love my state. :biggrin:

G
#15 · (Edited)
Les: good point. Las

Les: good point. Last I looked, the DOC wibeste showed 1.5% of the NC population in jail, on probation, or on post release supervision. I'll look up some numbers tonight to see if I can get a better estimation of the total percentages.

#22 ·
Yeah no offense to the Yanks in the forum, but youd have to pay me alot of money to move north of the Mason Dixon!

#23 ·
Just a little info to ponder on.

Vermont is priviledged to have such relaxed laws on weapons.
Ya'll Rebels can say what ya want about Vermont but
as a Vermonter my chances of becoming a victim are only 1 in 816 that's comforting to know.

a few other examples.. If I lived in
Louisiana my chances would be 1 in 166 :crazy:

if I lived in
Tennessee my chances would be 1 in 126 :crazy:

if I lived in
Texas my chances would be 1 in 172 :crazy:

if I lived in
New Hampshire my chances would be 1 in 714

So I guess it's fair to say at least Vermont is one of the Safer places to live and raise a family.

If anyone is interested here is a link to the nations 2008 15 Safest States to live in and the 15 Most dangerous States to live in.

Does anyone believe an Area's Gun laws play a roll in that area's Crime rates?

G
#24 · (Edited)
I didn't even think

I didn't even think that. I thought more along the lines of cinlriams would scratch out the serial number, so they would also remove the RFID chip. So what would the point be, other than hassle gun owners.But that's an interesting point you mention.

#25 ·
Actually I think Vermont and New Hampshire are probably great states and I plan on visiting there someday. As far as the safety issue; if we could seed Memphis over to Arkansas our numbers would probably as good as yours. :)

It's the other stuff that makes Tennessee my favorite. Weather! nuff said. Deer hunting seasons! I can be on a trout stream fishing or in some remote area hunting within 45 minutes from the house, Great bass fishing. Over one million acres of state and national forest within easy drive.

Low taxes, right to work laws, low cost of living, cheap electricity and did I mention the weather!

I do like your gun laws!

#54 ·
Actually I think Vermont and New Hampshire are probably great states and I plan on visiting there someday. As far as the safety issue; if we could seed Memphis over to Arkansas our numbers would probably as good as yours. :)

It's the other stuff that makes Tennessee my favorite. Weather! nuff said. Deer hunting seasons! I can be on a trout stream fishing or in some remote area hunting within 45 minutes from the house, Great bass fishing. Over one million acres of state and national forest within easy drive.

I do like your gun laws!
45 min, i shot a nice 6 pionter less than 200 yards from my back door of my old place, and only about 5 miles from downtown concord nh. btw concord is the state capitol.

#26 ·
I'm not knocking any of the other states, I've visited many other States (I've lived in Vermont, Florida & N.J.)
I've enjoyed many things in each of those states and many things in the other states I visited but I really believe
if All states were as releaxed as Vermont is on Weapons,,, America would be a safer place
and Ronn you are absolutely right it isn't the police our criminals are worried about, they worry more about the armed residents here and they should...

A robbery example:
A cop can Shout halt to make a criminal arrest a homeowner can Shoot to make a Criminal halt. AND THAT is the way it's supposed to be.

#27 ·
Timber The law in NY states that if it takes the licensing agency more than 6 months to complete the process, then the state must issue the permit and if it later finds cause not to issue the permit the state has to revoke it. So, after I waited 6 months for mine I went to the County Clerks Office in Rochester and showed them what the law said. I was told "ya a lot of people have tried this and what the judge said is the county hasn't had your permit request for 6 months the state has had it for part of the time. In other words you can't fight city hall even if you are right. I did get my permit after 10 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.