Deer Hunting Forums banner

Just Handgun Hunting

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Hellbilly 
#1 ·
Here is a great online magazine Handgun Hunter Magazine - Your Handgun Hunting Headquarters where you do have to be a member to read the great articals that are just about taking game with Handgun Hunting only. Yes, they have a forum associated with the online magazine, but that is not why I posted this. Great articals and write ups by Gary Smith and others.

Handgun Hunting pretty much sums it up to what your carrying out for hunting with, Not what your packing while hunting with a rifle. From a specialized bolt action handgun, break action like a Thompson Center Contendor or Encore to a revolver in either single action or double action.

As you will see in the online magazine that there are scoped or unscoped handguns ment only for one thing, and that is hunting game with a handgun, and not spacificly used for self defense. You wouldn't go using a .38 Spl, 9mm, .40 S&W or a .45 ACP to hunt with in the woods for whitetail deer or larger it's just not appropriate.

#3 ·
Well I know of some guy's around where I live that are getting the .454 Casull, 460 Magnum, 480 Ruger and the 500 Magnum. And now I'm also finding alot of them for sale second hand in the pawn shops.

I have to ask, what will they do here in Montana that my good ol S&W 629 6" .44 Magnum won't do?

The end result is nothing, just add more snap your wrist, recoil and alot more boom for the buck.

I just picked up 2 of the 5 doe tags that I am allowed to have for our valley area hunting district. I'm not going to spend $10.00 for each tag and then find that right in the middle of the hunting season I'm going to have surgery. So I will just do a couple at a time, and then get the others if I will have the time. But I am looking forward to harvesting all my whitetail tags with my .44 Magnum handgun.

#8 · (Edited)
Well I know of some guy's around where I live that are getting the .454 Casull, 460 Magnum, 480 Ruger and the 500 Magnum. And now I'm also finding alot of them for sale second hand in the pawn shops.

I have to ask, what will they do here in Montana that my good ol S&W 629 6" .44 Magnum won't do?

The end result is nothing, just add more snap your wrist, recoil and alot more boom for the buck.

I just picked up 2 of the 5 doe tags that I am allowed to have for our valley area hunting district. I'm not going to spend $10.00 for each tag and then find that right in the middle of the hunting season I'm going to have surgery. So I will just do a couple at a time, and then get the others if I will have the time. But I am looking forward to harvesting all my whitetail tags with my .44 Magnum handgun.
hunting deer with a 44mag is plenty,But from my experance while bear hunting the 44mag was not enough.The 400+# bear took 2 rds at 10' and only looked back at me and kept on going.After that I got a Ruger super redhawk in 480 and next time around there was a much better outcome.The 44mag has,will and still does kill many bear but have to put extra rds into them while the 460,480 and 500 or doing it with only 1-2 rds which makes me fell a lot better while standing face to face with a bear knowing I dont have to empty my gun to stop it and hope by #6 its down.This is JMO and experances,each his own.44mag. Velocity-1580/energy-1524 S&W 500 velocity-1900/energy-2805

#5 ·
Yep, fell with a 28' extension ladder last January 30th. Not as bad as it sounds since I was still on the ground. I was extending the ladder to catch what is called a strand line that runs with telephone arial lines to do a disconnect for a cable customer. Well the ladder slipped, and my hand was wrapped around the extension rope. So it took me with it, causing me to fly thru the air and land full weight on my left shoulder.

Nothing has worked for this, and I mean nothing so surgery is the last option.

If I use my left arm for anything, I pay a price every night as I did last night with no sleep because of the pain. I had planned on going out early this morning hunting, but I've had no sleep since 01:30. So now you know what my life is kinda like.

Hopefully I will be out later today to tag a nice doe.

#7 ·
Hey ive got a question for all you pro hunters. I just recently bought a Taurus model 66 .357 with a 6 1/2" barrell and i was wondering would it be worth it to have it drilled and tapped for a scope mount? Also would a simmons prohunter scope be ok to use? I bought this gun to carry as a side arm when out hunting and thought what the hell i might as well try to get that big one with it. So any kind of feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.