what do you prefer? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Handgun Hunting

Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhuntin View Post
A .40 cal. is larger than a .357 just not as powerful but neither would be a good choice for deer hunting
I agree Benhuntin, the .40 isn't an ideal choice for deer but I think the .357 would work well.
I don't hunt with my .40 caliber, I only carry it in case I come across a coyote, a poacher or a wounded animal suffering But I always call the authorities before I end the animals suffering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Scrub Buck

Bruce, I too carry, I have a Glock in 10mm. I have always wanted a Thompson Contender..
Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM

I was going to get the Glock but opted for the S&W Sigma for 2 reasons, the sigma is the exact same pistol as the Glock and the Sigma saved me some money.
Not everyone is aware of the Glock vs S&W lawsuit but apparently the Sigma cost S&W millions in settlement.

S&W and Glock Settle Suit

The Glock vs. Smith & Wesson lawsuit is history. After nearly three years of legal posturing, S&W has agreed to a multimillion dollar settlement and a slight modification to the Sigma Series Pistols.
To no one's surprise, Glock sued Smith & Wesson in early 1994. claiming "tortious acts, including without limitations, patent infringement, federal unfair competition, common unfair competition and deceptive trade practices."
S&W returned the salvo with "We firmly believe the suit to be totally without merit and will act accordingly."

Glock also sent an ultimatum to its dealers, giving them 15 days to decide on which to ca,y, the Glock or the Sigma. "If your decision is to continue to distribute Smith & Wesson products, your contractual relationship with Glock Inc. will be terminated," read the message.

In the end, Smith and Wesson agreed to "remove the surface located below the sear in the Sigma Series Pistols, which Glock contends is a positive guide means, and Glock has agreed that such a modification would resolve the patent infringement claim."
While no one in an official position is willing to say how much S&W will pay Glock, informed sources put the figure at between $5 and $8 million.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

I like the Springfield XD. It has a much larger trigger well and a smoother/lighter trigger. It has the least felt recoil of any polymer handgun I have shot. I would not recommend shooting a Sigma with gloves in a life/death situation - especially heavy/thick gloves. With the small trigger well, you may only get one shot. Your gloved finger could prevent the trigger from going forward enough to allow a follow up shot. I suggest staying away from semi-autos with a built in safety lock. We have had two S&W M&P's and one Taurus 24/7 (all three in 40 S&W) where the internal safety lock mechanism failed. The result was a live round in the chamber without being able to fire the gun or cycle the action.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
I would not recommend shooting a Sigma with gloves in a life/death situation - especially heavy/thick gloves.

I would not recommend shooting any weapon with gloves on.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

You will shoot with gloves if the straight temperature before wind chill is well below zero. Try having a good trigger pull with an ungloved hand at -20F. If you are going to shoot with gloves, you should also practice shooting with the same gloves.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 PM

I live in Vermont, I've hunted often with temps well below zero and YES I do wear gloves while hunting under those conditions but
If a shot presents itself the glove comes off or I don't shoot it's that simple, shooting with a glove on isn't safe at all, It's a practice I highly discourage.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 AM
B&C 120 Class

Bruce - When I was an active LEO I carried a Glock 22 because it felt right in my hand... BUT I did not like the trigger sting I got from the .40 when firing long strings at the range.

I'm not working as an LEO any longer so I got rid of my Glocks.

But I sure like my S&W 629

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 AM

I can't comment on the Glock 22 model but there's something about the Smith and Wesson handguns that just feels right to me, I don't mean just my sigma I mean the whole S&W line,, whenever I hold an S&W they just seem to fit right every time it's the same with Rugers, when I was younger I wasn't a Ruger fan but now Each time I hold a Ruger handgun, they also seem to fit prefectly.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
B&C 160 Class

I don't own any such types of handguns but feel the same way about my T/C Contender. It just feels perfect.