Deer Hunting Forums banner

what do you prefer?

28K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Poopnoodles 
#1 ·
just wondering what you folks prefer to hunt with when it comes to handguns?I dont know if I prefer it or not because its the only hand gun I've hunted with: a 44mag S&W 629

#2 ·
Funny story; My father's dearest friend, and my landlord as a child, Wolfgang, who know resides in Pa., used to like to challenge himself. It wasn't so much about getting the trophy, it was more about how good you are with a gun. Accuracy was his goal. I can't remember the name of the gun he would use, but it was a single shot, ball and powder, and I think the range was only good at like fifty yards, and you only get one shot, and pray your that good, would go bear and mtn cat hunting with it, and sure enough would come home with a prize, almost everytime, with tall stories to go with it. If your out there Johnnie, I am sure PA. hasn't been the same, since you arrived, hope all is well.

#7 ·
used my old mans 44 Ruger super redhawk but realized my .270 was lighter & shorter J/K was heavy though
I do carry my Ruger LCP .380 just in case

#11 ·
Yes, I doubt anyone does but yes you can.
the Vermont Regulation regarding handgun hunting is as follows

HANDGUNS:
Wherever a rifle may be used in hunting, a handgun is
permitted.

#13 ·
I traided my Ruger Super Blackhawk SS 4.5/8ths for it, because I got tired of my figer getting trigger bite and the trigger guard whacking the heck out of my middle finger.

The S&W 629 6" is so much more smoother and I feel more accurate.

I load a 305-gr WFN-GC bullet from Rim Rock Bullets as they sponsor my bullets for right now :coffee:

#14 ·
My 629 has a 7 3/8 barrel the load that seems to work best is 240 nosler 22.5 w296.If I werent so computer illiterate I would send some pictures Im lucky to get words back to ya:unsure:I bought a super black hawk at a real good price,but man is it a hawg leg 10 in. barrel,Im thinking about reselling it. Bruce check your regs.,I know we're not allowed to use a bullet,I think smaller than a .357.

#16 ·
Bruce check your regs.,I know we're not allowed to use a bullet,I think smaller than a .357.

the Vermont Regulation regarding handgun hunting reads as follows

HANDGUNS:
Wherever a rifle may be used in hunting, a handgun is
permitted.

#19 ·
during modern firearms season handgunning is all i do i have a taurus raging bull 444ss in .44 mag a ruger super red hawk in .454 cassull and super redhawk in .480 all with burris scopes lovem all s&w is a great choice but if you want to scope it take a trip to the gunsmith thats the only drawback good luck with the handgunning it is a blast

#23 ·
I was going to get the Glock but opted for the S&W Sigma for 2 reasons, the sigma is the exact same pistol as the Glock and the Sigma saved me some money.
Not everyone is aware of the Glock vs S&W lawsuit but apparently the Sigma cost S&W millions in settlement.

S&W and Glock Settle Suit

The Glock vs. Smith & Wesson lawsuit is history. After nearly three years of legal posturing, S&W has agreed to a multimillion dollar settlement and a slight modification to the Sigma Series Pistols.
To no one's surprise, Glock sued Smith & Wesson in early 1994. claiming "tortious acts, including without limitations, patent infringement, federal unfair competition, common unfair competition and deceptive trade practices."
S&W returned the salvo with "We firmly believe the suit to be totally without merit and will act accordingly."

Glock also sent an ultimatum to its dealers, giving them 15 days to decide on which to ca,y, the Glock or the Sigma. "If your decision is to continue to distribute Smith & Wesson products, your contractual relationship with Glock Inc. will be terminated," read the message.

In the end, Smith and Wesson agreed to "remove the surface located below the sear in the Sigma Series Pistols, which Glock contends is a positive guide means, and Glock has agreed that such a modification would resolve the patent infringement claim."
While no one in an official position is willing to say how much S&W will pay Glock, informed sources put the figure at between $5 and $8 million.

#24 ·
I like the Springfield XD. It has a much larger trigger well and a smoother/lighter trigger. It has the least felt recoil of any polymer handgun I have shot. I would not recommend shooting a Sigma with gloves in a life/death situation - especially heavy/thick gloves. With the small trigger well, you may only get one shot. Your gloved finger could prevent the trigger from going forward enough to allow a follow up shot. I suggest staying away from semi-autos with a built in safety lock. We have had two S&W M&P's and one Taurus 24/7 (all three in 40 S&W) where the internal safety lock mechanism failed. The result was a live round in the chamber without being able to fire the gun or cycle the action.

#27 ·
I live in Vermont, I've hunted often with temps well below zero and YES I do wear gloves while hunting under those conditions but
If a shot presents itself the glove comes off or I don't shoot it's that simple, shooting with a glove on isn't safe at all, It's a practice I highly discourage.

#28 ·
Bruce - When I was an active LEO I carried a Glock 22 because it felt right in my hand... BUT I did not like the trigger sting I got from the .40 when firing long strings at the range.

I'm not working as an LEO any longer so I got rid of my Glocks.

But I sure like my S&W 629 :biggrin:

#29 ·
I can't comment on the Glock 22 model but there's something about the Smith and Wesson handguns that just feels right to me, I don't mean just my sigma I mean the whole S&W line,, whenever I hold an S&W they just seem to fit right every time it's the same with Rugers, when I was younger I wasn't a Ruger fan but now Each time I hold a Ruger handgun, they also seem to fit prefectly.