Deer Hunting Forums banner

Fertilizer question

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  delbert 
#1 ·
I planted a food plot this weekend. The plot called for 13-13-13 fertilizer but I could only get my hands on 12-0-12 fertilizer. I thought some fertilizer would be better than none. What kind of difference will the fertilizer make??

#5 ·
Did you have the soil tested or was that directions on the bag? Your plot will produce the best results if you get the nutrients right and the test will help with that. You could add Phosphorus if you can find bags of bone meal.

#6 ·
I did not have soil tested. The seed that I planted called for the 13-13-13 fertilizer. Right now we are in need of a much needed rain if the plot has a chance to grow. At this point we have missed much of the rain they were calling for from the hurricane. We are praying that we end up getting some out of this system.

#9 ·
Up here in north central MO we got all together about 6 inches in the past week. Needed it badly and believe it or not, the grass is starting to turn green again! I don't know about you SEMO, but yesterday (Wed) and the day before (Tues) were about the most humid days I've ever experienced (and here in MO we have HUMIDITY!) Supposed to be a front coming through today and highs in the 70's tomorrow through sunday.

About your question- any fertilizer will do, I put 10-10-10 on my garden this year and it took off. The tomato plants are STILL producing tomatoes even with the drought, green beans were fantastic and corn was lacking a little bit. I think if you use the 12-0-12, you'll be ok, but just won't have as much flowering or bloom (depending on what you are growing). Basically it won't yield as much. But heck, it's better than nothing. I'm not going to attempt a food plot this year-- with my luck this drought will start back up and it'll all be for a loss OR we'll start getting 6+ inches of rain a week till Christmas!

Good Luck fellow Missourian!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.