What's the best deer attractant? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 11-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolHunter View Post
Tator,

You missunderstood, I wasn't gettin on you, I was getting on WestTN because he keeps alluding to the fact that he might/would bait. I'm sorry but a corn pile of no size can equal to learning the land, learning how the deer move, learning where the deer move, and knowing if you have rutting bucks in your area. I'm just tired of a lazy way of hunting (not saying all people who bait are) that says throw out some food and wait over it.

As for the bucks at a corn pile, there is no doubt that they come to the corn pile, but some of the BIG BUCKS are almost completely nocturnal. Just like in my food plots, you get most of your largest deer in the middle of the night and RARELY in the daylight. Also, I never said you wouldn't see bucks, I said it wouldn't increase your chances of seeing/taking a big buck. WestTN seems to think it is all about hunting over food when there are tons of other things to do. I then said that he needed to be doing everything else right or it didn't matter what he had for food/bait. This is especially true when he is saying that there is obviously a good deal of food on the other side of the road.

Here in TN you have to have the bait removed sometime around a week before season starts, but I had a bud that was busted because the wardens found 4 kernels of corn where a pre-season feeder had been. They called it baiting. My friend won in court but had to pay court fees and deal with having the wardens kinda harrassing him the rest of the year in hopes of finding something they could write a ticket for.

WestTN what county are you hunting in?

I'm hunting in Hardin County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 03:20 AM
B&C 100 Class

i do believe in MO even if you are unaware of someone else "baiting/feeding" deer you can be held responsible for it
Old 11-30-2011, 03:23 AM
B&C 100 Class

i was a little off

Deer may not be taken with the use of dogs, bait, electronic calls, electronically activated calls or live decoys. Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait, however, mineral blocks with food additives are prohibited. An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait. It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:29 AM
B&C 100 Class

found this also
A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM
B&C 160 Class

WestTN, forget "baiting" when you can afford the equipment to put in food plots then go that route. Go spend $15 on a trophy rock deer love them and they are legal. If don't see deer where you are hunting, move. People who use shortcuts to kill deer never learn how to hunt. Your young and have time to figure it out the right way.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolHunter View Post
I'm sorry but a corn pile of no size can equal to learning the land, learning how the deer move, learning where the deer move, and knowing if you have rutting bucks in your area. I'm just tired of a lazy way of hunting (not saying all people who bait are) that says throw out some food and wait over it.

I agree with you... and no hard feelings- i knew what you meant!

I only feed corn to the deer after the season has ended. I too dislike the thought of using bait to allure deer in... now standing crops and/or mineral licks I believe are perfectly fine anytime, all the time. Now, I don't leave standing crops on my land, and I only have one mineral lick as well. But I don't hunt over it with baited breath (no pun intended).

I also agree with you about learning the land and how the deer move on it. That is the best way to go when hunting whitetails!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevil1 View Post
found this also
A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.

Hey there Bigevil- you're dead on with the laws pertaining to Missouri. And you were right to begin with... you can get into trouble even you didn't know the land you are hunting is baited.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Go spend $15 on a trophy rock deer love them and they are legal.

ahh... the trophy rock... I love them things- and yes they do work! BUT- don't use them if it's an especially dry year...
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Corn & Beans

You can never go wrong with corn and beans. If you watch all the shows on tv they are usually hunting over corn or beans. I also love hunting or turnips. They are a great food source once the first frost hits.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Scrub Buck

Default deer attractant

VolHunter, you are 100% right that learning the land, how the deer move , where they go, and the part of the season for bucks etc ( which is basically just studying the craft of hunting which all hunters should be doing ) is just as important as what lure you use. But some lures are good, and some are not.

The question was, what is the best deer attractant, not is baiting a good idea. If you know the lay of the land and your deer, Kishels Scents makes a pretty high end line of lures and attractants for deer:
http://store.kishelscents.com/products/lures