Mineral Licks... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Mineral Licks...

Been doing some research on the internet about this topic. Wanted to see what everyone thinks about this recipe below...
I am a big believer in trophy rock. They claim it brings the bucks in the area to that rock and it's the truth. The only problem is I feel really, really, really, really, really, guilty buying a $15 ROCK when I got family at home that needs taking care of. I have bought 3-4 of those trophy rocks before and they do bring the bucks in. Try it and see for yourself.

NOW... getting back to what I was saying, found this recipe for a mineral lick area that you can mix up and it's relatively inexpensive. I'm all about giving the deer the minerals they need to help them grow and stay healthy. After all, I don't want a malnourished deer.

Here's the recipe- let me know what you think or if you have tried this before.

1 part Dicalcium Phosphate (50lb sac)
2 parts Trace Mineral Salt (red kind) (50lb sac)
1 part stock salt (or ice cream salt) (50lb sac)

Use a 3lb coffee can to mix solution up. Dig a 3' around hole x 6" deep. till the dirt/clay/mix up w/a hoe or shovel. Then dump in your mineral lick (about 5 gal worth). Cover back up with dirt and pour 5 gal. water on top (optional).
Repeat 2-3 months later. After first two applications, repeat every 6 months.
This should cost right around $20-$25, but you'll have enough to do 1-2 years worth OR you can make multiple mineral lick areas depending how large your hunting area is. Recommended 1 mineral lick per 100 acres.

**now there was a guy who recommended using another ingredient instead of the stock salt. He called it Beast Feast. Here's the recipe for it. Use the same amount as the stock salt in the recipe above...

5 parts Wheat Bran
2 parts sweet brown sugar
6 packs of strawberry jello mix
(I would assume use a smaller measuring device rather than the coffee can)

This guy claimed the beast feast worked better than the salt, plus it gave an attractant smell and aroma for the deer.

I think I'll stick with the Stock Salt.

Thoughts.. Ideas..????