ridgetop food plot - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Scrub Buck

Default ridgetop food plot

hey a noob here guys! one ? we have 250 acres in east ky. on top of a ridge is a 1/4 acre open spot perfect for a food plot. thing is it gets really dry in the summer and doesn't hold water well, and the sun can get extreme. i have fruit trees that do really well but never tried any food plots..however this year i have purchased some chicory,pearl millet, sunflower seeds, and whitetail institute xtreme blend to give it a shot..has anyone been through this same predicament and do you think these products can handle the task at hand? preciate the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
B&C 160 Class

Welcome to the club
I read about extreme but never planted any it sounds like a good choice for your hill top ...
Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

do some research on the web. Just like any seeds or plants they all take different stuff. Some plants can survive on little water while others needs water daily in the beginning. I recommend mixing in some turnip seed with all your planting too. Do about a 1-2 acre plot of turnips and hunt that during the coldest part of winter.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Scrub Buck

Mountain man, my hunting land is in southeastern Ky. and I tried the extreme after Imperial clover didn't do well in a spot that sounds similiar. The extreme didn't do any better than the clover for me, I am looking for something else to try in that plot this spring.

Last edited by clemsoneal; 01-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsoneal View Post
Mountain man, my hunting land is in southeastern Ky. and I tried the extreme after Imperial clover didn't do well in a spot that sounds similiar. The extreme didn't do any better than the clover for me, I am looking for something else to try in that plot this spring.

thanks gentlemen.....i was afraid of that clemsoneal... weeds grow and trees keep sprouting up so i would think something would have a chance....i can almost bet on the sunflowers because they grew up there before, and their cheap, so maybe you can try those....let me know what you get into and if it works out.