Deer Hunting Forums banner

ridgetop food plot

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  east ky. mountain man 
#1 ·
hey a noob here guys! one ? we have 250 acres in east ky. on top of a ridge is a 1/4 acre open spot perfect for a food plot. thing is it gets really dry in the summer and doesn't hold water well, and the sun can get extreme. i have fruit trees that do really well but never tried any food plots..however this year i have purchased some chicory,pearl millet, sunflower seeds, and whitetail institute xtreme blend to give it a shot..has anyone been through this same predicament and do you think these products can handle the task at hand? preciate the feedback! :bag:

#3 ·
do some research on the web. Just like any seeds or plants they all take different stuff. Some plants can survive on little water while others needs water daily in the beginning. I recommend mixing in some turnip seed with all your planting too. Do about a 1-2 acre plot of turnips and hunt that during the coldest part of winter.

#5 ·
thanks gentlemen.....i was afraid of that clemsoneal... weeds grow and trees keep sprouting up so i would think something would have a chance....i can almost bet on the sunflowers because they grew up there before, and their cheap, so maybe you can try those....let me know what you get into and if it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.