Radishes - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Radishes

anyone planted them in foodplots before?? Gonna plant some purple tops next weekend along with the iron clay peas. and the usual 3 seed mix (along the edges )
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Scrub Buck

I've never done radishes but we plant a ton of purple tops for our food plots and we mix the seed with little wheat grass and alfalfa.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 AM
B&C 140 Class

My foodplots are poor at best. the lack of rain and warm weather has burnt up roughly 80% of my winter foodplots. but the turkeys are having a field day scratching up the seed that hasn't come up. lol
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

I plant turnips. They are very cheap and you get alot for your money. I usually do about 1/4 acre spots. I have about 200 acres I hunt, and this past year I think I planted 4 plots this way. They love the greens this time of year and when it starts snowing, those deer will rip the ground apart to get at them bulbs. The only problem is my turnips didn't turn out as well this year as in the past. The greens only got about 3 inches high and stopped.... better luck next year, i hope

Here's a tip for people who want to plant turnips. The seeds are so small that sometimes a spreader doesn't work as well. What I do is get two 5 gallon buckets and fill one up with loose dry dirt. As I shovel in dirt in the one bucket, after every scoop I put a hand full of turnip seed in, till the bucket is full. Then take the bucket and pour it into the empty one and repeat this about 10+ times until you can see that the turnip seed is mixed in well w/the DRY dirt. Then take that one bucket to your plot and while walking use your hand and toss it out. You'll get better coverage this way plus you don't want to plant turnips too deep.. only about 1/4-1/2 inch below surface. So the dirt you are spreading out helps with this as well.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by tator; 12-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:51 PM

brassicas have 4-6" tubes/roots, I had good success in PA with these. After the first frost when the sugars max, the deer tear them up. I munched one but to me it was bitter.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Scrub Buck

sounds like some good ideas. never considered turnips before. most folk around here have done corn, soybeans, or clover. may try the turnip thing next year. thanks for the hints on planting tator
Old 12-17-2010, 09:08 AM
B&C 180 Class

Turnips work very well, however, this past year they didn't amount to much at all in the growing season. My garden was the same way here in Missouri. I planted probably 25 tomato plants and got maybe 30 tomatos TOTAL the whole summer. Green beans did ok, so I'm guessing soybeans did well this year too. Even my cucumbers were lacking.
Turnips work the best for deer if you plant them late season. I think I planted mine in early august. Those deer will eat the tops off after the first freeze, then they will DIG them out of the ground during snow to eat the bulb! I keep a close eye on places that have turnip seed on sale. I found a place in eastern MO this past mid-summer that had turnip seed on sale for $1 / pound! That's pretty good...

btw... I also planted some turnip seed (from store-bought seed) and they didn't amount to much this year either... for those of you who thought the seed was bad.... :)