Should I plant clover and chicory on a food plot That only gets 5-6 hours of sun? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Scrub Buck

Question Should I plant clover and chicory on a food plot That only gets 5-6 hours of sun?

I am beginning to start a plan for a food plot in Indiana. I have a less than a half of an acre that i recently took a tiller to. " my food plot field" Question is, I have been searching for some annuals or perrinials. to put in that field. The dirt has a PH of 6.5 and is on a slight northern slop, It has exellant drainage. it gets sun about 5-6 hours a day. It is sourounded by tulip poplar sassaphras SAPLINGS.
I found out on this site from someone that i should plant clover and chicory on the OLD logging trails leading to the small field. Well should i put the same in the food plot???? or would anybody suggest somithing different considering the PH, drainage and 5-6 hours of daylight.
If any body reads this and has any info. I would really consider it. Because I dont know hardly anything about food plots.

I have attached a google earth view and description of property.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg food plot on my land.jpg (98.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by maynardpriest; 02-07-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Not clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Scrub Buck

On the image the square line represents my property. The circle in the middle is 100 year old logging trails. And where is says "# 1 food plot in this area is close to where i want to put a plot. Th big field to the south is a hayfield for the cows.
I manage alot of that property.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
ronn

there is an awful lot to consider. what is the bulk of the mast? is there any? where is the thick bedding cover? where do they normally eat greens? wind direction for approach? I think i'd contact the qdma and or the county farm bureau for help/info. because in addition to food plots there are other things you can do/plant, fruit trees, mast trees, etc. you can also do things like green brier. you need a good balance for year round food to keep and hold deer. the county or qdma can help you with the big picture and with the fine tuning. like where the sanctuary should be. the shape of the plot is also important. figure 8's or L's. if you're going to do it i would get their opinions with boots on the ground plus there may be $$ available from either to help you make the improvements.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Scrub Buck

Ronn Ty vm You know your stuff and help people and i appreciate that.
I am in a classified forrest program and i have permision to cut out a half acre for a food plot. Close to maynard hill, "west" is my oak stand, And in the middle is the poplar stand and to the east is the sasaphras stand. I have alot to think about. And i will take in all the info i can. so thanks. I have been cutting and pasting alot of info to a word file, Your Name comes up alot. I am finding alot of info.
It seems i am getting over my head but with your advice and others I think within a couple of tries and a couple of years i will have it down. I HAD No idea that a food plot sometimes needs to be a certain shape. lol i thought they were all square!~!.. I like the figure 8 idea. So much to think about now!!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 PM
ronn

over your head? naw. seems to me you're doing well. I tried a plot on a friends property and did the log road thing and honey hole on other properties, don't have the land myself to do it, and then started to learn more about plots after i pretty much wasted my $$ and time. so i'm am far from any kind of expert or have good plots going like some of the guys on here. i have learned there is a lot more to it than sticking seed in the ground if you want the most bang for your $$ and effort. things like the soil test, lime or pot ash, fertilizer type and how much for what you are planting, shape, soft edges, and what to plant to supplement for what is missing and what works in your area. the local qdma and of course the county will be able to help you get the most out of it.

Last edited by ronn; 02-07-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:57 PM

You can add to your thought process: plant for nutrition/harvest?? Also, try to plant something that matures differently than the mast foods. Deer need early protien for lactation and antler growth so early food like clover, chickory. Fall plots like brassicas are hit after the first frost when the sugar peaks in the plant. Other plants like corn, soybeans, wheat, ect. may require more extensive equipment. Soil samples are a must as you will only waste valuable $$ to see nothing grow. Like ronn said, shaps of the plots can affect success. Plots close to bedding or dense areas may pull deer in better than plots out in a open field at least in shooting hours. There are plot plants for low ph soils otherwise you will need a lot of lime put down and there are several types of lime to use. Check in to the Wildlife institute web site and you will learn how to do it right. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Keep in mind tha in some states you must have written land owner permision to plant anything on their land. Also to add any fertilizers you must check with local authorities as well as owners of wells and public drinking water systems, they can raise hell with the landowner and yourself. Becareful.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up

Yep I knew there was some money to this but not that much. I really do thank you guys for your help. this site and the people in it are good people,
I will keep the chemicals in mind since it is in a classified forrest!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile Clover and Chicory Options

The good news is both clover and chicory can be planted as single stands or together if you wish. They tend to peak at different times which is why people plant them together.

White Dutch Clover is suited to pH's in the range of 6 to 6.5 and chicory is also Ph tolerant. Both do well in well drained soils which you describe.

Both are cool season perennials. Planted in late winter or spring and the white dutch is great out of the gate, giving good spring feed. The chicory is more heat tolerant and tends to last longer in the summer than the fast out of the gate clover so evens out the season by having food all spring and summer. If you add a small grain such as winter wheat/winter rye(can be sown superficially) or oats(have to be sown deeper) the grain will provide the fall feed so you get coverage later in the season.

I hope this help clear it up some for you.

vetjudy