Food plot Help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Food plot Help

We own some land in south western Virginia that is all mountain land. The land was select timbered about 15 years ago and now has become a very thick habitat for deer. We are tossing around the idea of planting food plots this spring but we dont know anything about them. What would be a good seed for mountain terrain? Some of the locations would be under a good canopy of shade while others would get sun most of the day. The areas are old logging roads and some untouched forest floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
ronn

whatever you use be sure to prep the soil with lime and fertilizer. its been my experience that if you don't, you're wasting your $$. i always liked the idea of a strip plot using a high protein (like alfa-rack) for the spring and summer, this will help the does with lactation and boost the antler growth of the bucks, and a high carb (a turnip type) for the fall and winter. i've never had any luck with that throw and grow type stuff.

on a side note where in va? i belong to a hunt club near pulaski but have never hunted it. my daughter goes to school in salem, va. nice country down there.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks for your help. Ill be sure to do plenty of site prep. Will any type of seed grow there with the right soil prep?

My land is in a little town called Saltville. Its about 45 min north east of Bristol. Your right there is beautiful country in that area.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 PM
ronn

Default By :But remember, if

By :But remember, if the pletnay is to high, no corporate executive will risk the consequences associated with deep sea drilling. If you want them to drill, they're always going to want a profit and probably a safe harbor standard to avoid catastrophic liability and the potential risk of another big bang.That's what Obama has failed to realize in many areas. It reminds me of California's Governor Davis who practically declared war on anyone who produced electricity. There was one case where that entity was a city that brought in its own generators, and he had the state take them over, effectively stopping any other city from doing anything to help produce electricity in a time of severe need. Rate this comment: 0 0

Last edited by Clavil; 04-18-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: KXv9JpgaNt
Old 12-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Scrub Buck

Nitrogen is the first number in your set of numbers in fertilizers. I have not ever had much luck planting anything under a shade (canopy) other than gulf rye grass and then it only made it untill the leaf drop and then they smothered it out. If it was me I would only plant where good sun light could reach the ground for several hour each day. For the woods I would fertilize the browes that was already thier. Be sure and lime heavy where you are going to plant. In your part try the Imperal extreme mixed with chickory for a year round plot.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 PM

Hillside planting? I would agree with ronn, plant rows and alternate different seeds. I would spend the up front money and chemically kill everything. Then run a soil ph check and adjust for accordingly. Soil conditions dictate the proper seed to use. Moist soils support clovers, brassicas. Dryer soils, alfalfas, specialized seeds for it. Whitetail Institute can give you excellent advice on proper planting ideas and seeds for specific soil conditions.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM
B&C 100 Class

I guess you could call it hillside planting. The tracts will not be very wide though just as wide as a logging road. That is the only places we were gonna put the plots was in the old logging roads. There is a flat on top of the main ridge that we were gonna get grubbed out then plant a plot there.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
ronn

Unhappy Such a deep anwsre!

Such a deep anwsre! GD&RVVF

Last edited by Raynoch; 04-18-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: i6S8F5qBDM
Old 12-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Scrub Buck

Remember that you need land owner premision to plant ! At least in NH.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM

To help the deer nuitritionally plant early crops like clovers that bucks can use for antler production and give the whole herd good food source. Fall crops will give a boost for fall food shortages. Like ronn said figure out if it is for food or to shoot over then pick a seed. Personally if the plot is to simply harvest deer I wouldn't spend big money on high doller seeds. Farmer quality seeds would work fine.