Got the Tractor in the field - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
B&C 160 Class

I want to get in some early corn and milo .....My clover is doing good..
I have been looking at the whitetail power plant ,,I did get some of the small whitetail sample packs last year
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up Trying out Whitetail Institute products

This Spring I'll be planting some of those sample packs you're talking about. I'm always looking for that sweet spot that will draw whitetails like a magnet. So I ordered a single sample assortment and a double sample assortment. That will give me a small (7 different products x 3 of 100 sq ft each. Thats 7, 30x30ft plots) Now that may sound like a crazy checkerboard idea, but I think it will show me what the very well-fed herd in my area will favor. Then next year, I can plant accordingly. So I guess I'm field testing for drawing more deer to my ground. I will say that the 30 acres of alfalfa already draw a large herd - but, where the does are, the bucks will be, right? So I've established a fair sized (4x4) mineral lick just inside the tree line that is like Grand Central Station in the area of my test field. I figure next year will bring a bountiful harvest - and I'm hopeful I'll do OK this year, too. By the way, I ride a cherry 1958 AC D-17. Safe and productive hunting, brother!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM

Here's my game plan: The end of April spray/kill the plots and I have a weeks vacation near the end of May to plant. I think I'm just going to plant a mix of clovers, brassicas and chickory. My son is going to try a couple of isolated small sites with quick grow products.
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up Sounds like a plan

That'll work! I planted that mix a couple years ago and the herd was digging the green out of the snow well into January. Up here its impoprtant to consider keeping something for them during the rough months when the bucks are exhausted and the does are lactating.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 PM

unfortunately the PA plots are eaten to the ground by mid november, absolutely nothing left. Other than bag mineral stuff I can't feed them enough and my budget isn't big enough to supply them through the winter months when they really need it. Also, living in Ohio is a traveling problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode