Would like help on first time food plot. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Would like help on first time food plot.

Me and my buddy are going to put food plots. On one piece of ground their are millions of acorns but no corn,beans etc. for miles. We want to hold the deer in our area. Should we plant regular crops or some other kind of food.

The other land has lots of timber no acorns and no fields for miles. Both have water sources. We are located in N.E Kansas.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:45 PM
B&C 160 Class

I don't know about Kansas but in TN I like a mix of winter wheat, clover, rape and maybe buck forage oats for a winter plot. We plant in late August or Septmeber.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
ronn

plant a spring summer plot. alfalfa, clover. also don't forget browse for cover and food, berry bushes maybe. that should be good competition/contrast to the acorns. then a winter plot winter wheat, late planting of oats. strip plant. get in touch with your local qdma. they should be tons of help.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 AM

For maximum antler growth you need high quality food early in the year. May -Aug. this is when the bucks system passes out the extra neutrients to the skeletal system for antler growth. Fall plantings do provide for winter survival and herd prosperity, but won't gererate big horns. High quality clover/alfalfa, peas ect in early plantings will give the needed minerals/protien for max antler growth. Protien around 28-38% is available. Corn is like 8%, not sure about oat & wheat but probably not real high. Brassicas are late season plants, deer hit them after 1st frost, but are for late season. You have a lot of good acorns for fall use add some brassicas and fall carry over strips. Spring needs the clovers and high protien plants.