logging road - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default logging road

what would be a viable option for planting a logging road that runs through the woods. the road is pretty much under the canpoy the whole way and doesn't get much if any sunlight once the leaves are on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

that throw and grow stuff.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Scrub Buck

Throw and Grow is 80% rye grass and 10% clover and rape.

It will grow green stuff, but you might get more for your money by mixing your own.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
B&C 100 Class

what do you suggest and can you no till plant. will being under the canopy hurt success rate? i'm seriously considering doing this for next spring but want it to be worthwhile. thanks for the input.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Easy Food

One of the easiets things to plant is Wheat. It is a decent food source for deer and turkey. You really can grow it about anywhere and it does not require you to till. If you have the option to, it will help make the growth better, but you can just walk with a sower and spread it down the road and it will easily grow.

Clover can be hard to get to grow. It requires a just right pH balance in the soil and also really needs to be tilled. It is a good food source but it requires a good bit of maintainence. I have four LARGE fields that are normally planted in Clover....it takes some money to do it when you factor in the Lime, fertilizer, gas (for tillers and such)....for a quick and easy plot....go with Wheat.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrebelguitarist View Post
One of the easiets things to plant is Wheat. It is a decent food source for deer and turkey. You really can grow it about anywhere and it does not require you to till. If you have the option to, it will help make the growth better, but you can just walk with a sower and spread it down the road and it will easily grow.

Clover can be hard to get to grow. It requires a just right pH balance in the soil and also really needs to be tilled. It is a good food source but it requires a good bit of maintainence. I have four LARGE fields that are normally planted in Clover....it takes some money to do it when you factor in the Lime, fertilizer, gas (for tillers and such)....for a quick and easy plot....go with Wheat.
I agree, wheat might work or try fall/winter rye (not rye grass). Stuff is cheap, will grow about anywhere and the deer love it.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Logging road food plots

I would not plant anything without tilling first even the throw an grow you need to loosen the soil especially since it's been packed down by trafic.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

1st of all is it public or private land? If it is on public you had better find out if it is legal 1st.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
ronn

Exclamation I contacted Brian to

I contacted Brian to make my vBulletin furmos pass the W3 validator. There were a handful of errors that needed to be fixed and he fixed everything. My furmos now pass the validator with flying colors. Brian was also very fast in finishing this task for me. I highly recommend him.

Last edited by Eqah; 04-19-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: 8BI9Osk98Q0
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

i agree that throw and grow is a waste of money . i tried wheat but it didn't work either