Reason for joining this forum. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Scrub Buck

Talking Reason for joining this forum.

I have been thinking that a nice food plot that supply's good forage year around would draw deer out of the corn fields and get deer that hole up in the brush of a vacant field next door. I do not intend to hunt over the plot ( I have the front yard)just get the deer coming to it and using it. I will hunt the travel routes to and from the plots how ever.
I have some medium sized tractors to work the plot from a 16 HP MH pacer to a 60HP Ford 5000.
Need advice on type of all weather seed to plant In (southern Michigan and southern UP) and get a couple years use at least before it needs replanting. Is a till plant best or no till?
I do know about PH, lime and fertilizers also.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 AM

There are so many seed types out there
clover is probably easiest to plant in the colder regions with short growing seasons. It would also depend on if you are looking for a feeding plot
or are you looking for the health of the deer this would narrow down what you will plant. Also need to know what planting zone you are in this could narrow down your choices dramatically. I can say I have had the best luck here in NH so far using Mossy Oak Biologic Outfitters blend (annual) & many of the clover seed. Most food plot seeds are annual. The perennial mixes will mostly be clover blends & rape or chicory. I would Not do a throw & grow/ No till if you are looking for a perennial you will be putting a lot of time into plots so I would do it right & Till it, weed it, lime and fertilizer it lot of great info on the net

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM

While it's been a couple of years since I've planted a plot, hopefully this year I can get things done. I plant a blend of several seeds, brassicas, clover, chickory, rape, ect. I believe in the salad planting mix. The deer will come if you plant it. Good luck and its nice to have equipment to work the soil and do it right. Small seeds require a compacted soil bed so that they don't fall too deep in loose soil, then pray for rain. I also like a 10-10-10 fertilizer for the money.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 AM

I had better get the plots in this year as I purchased all the seeds on sale last week. I bought a mix of seeds from oats to clover, rape, brassicas, turnips, chickory. I just need to figure what mix will go into which plot?