Baiting Deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Baiting Deer

I Know That In Ny Putting A Pile Of Corn,apples,carrots Etc...just To Lure The Deer In Or Onto A Property Is Illeagle But Why Is Building A Food Plot Just To Lure In The Deer Leagle?does This Make Sence To You?i Know The Cwd(chronic Wasting Disease)has Had Something To Do With It Because They Dec(dept.of Environmental Conservation)dosen't Want The Deer To Gather In Herds?but What About The Food Plots And Or Herding Up In The Winter Months?i Have Only Herd Of 3 Cases Of Cwd In Ny(southernteir) But That Was A Couple Of Years Ago And Nothing Sence?i In My Opinion If You Own The Property Pay The State Taxes You Should Be Able To Do What You Want To Do On It.does Anybody Here Agree Or Disagree?i Don't Want To Start A War On Here So Please Keep It Clean.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

I agree......if it is your property you should be able to do as you please.....and after all the deer are in a sense "yours." Baiting also helps the deer make it through the season up north when there are hard winters
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
B&C 120 Class

Don't know the answer to that one. Here is SC ,2/3 of the state can bait but the 1/3 I live in can't. 4 miles away in NC you can. Frustrating
I've always thought scents were more of a lure ,but they're allowed. None of it really makes sense to me. Personally I'd rather they allow baiting and outlaw rifles, but I know I'd be in a small minority there.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
ronn

Cool I am just wondering,

I am just wondering, has annyoe ever opted OUT of a family gathering because one spouse (typically the in-law spouse, not the one in the family) has been ostracized or made fun of?We've been in this situation, and it only takes 1-2 people to make someone miserable. But when you live IN the same town, it's hard to make excuses. We can't just be gone the day of that holiday, because then they'll arrange something one, two, three days before. I don't want to be hurtful to those who care, or involve them in unnecessary gossip, but aren't there times when, for the sake of your marriage, it's better to NOT GO than to go and then fight later about how the cold shoulders should've been handled??

Last edited by Matty; 04-18-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: OLnGEyPDdwAnYaqmG
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
B&C 140 Class

Here in KY you can bait for deer but you cannot for turkeys. That doesn't make sense to me. You can plant or feed turkeys but cannot hunt over it. Ronn, if you think you have too many deer on your land you can apply to the Game and fish dept for antlerless tags to remove deer from your property. That is only if it is determined that there is enough deer to cause damage to crops, habitat, etc.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Here in KY you can bait for deer but you cannot for turkeys. That doesn't make sense to me. You can plant or feed turkeys but cannot hunt over it. Ronn, if you think you have too many deer on your land you can apply to the Game and fish dept for antlerless tags to remove deer from your property. That is only if it is determined that there is enough deer to cause damage to crops, habitat, etc.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU PUT A PILE OF CORN OUT FOR THE DEER AND TURKEYS COME TO THE PILE HOW WOULD YOU EXPLAIN IT TO A GAME AND FISH PERSON IF THEY CAME APON IT WITH TURKEYS EATING OUT OF THE PILE SENCE DEER AND TURKEYS EAT CORN?IT SURLY LOOKS LIKE TO THEM YOUR FEEDING THE TURKEYS BUT REALLY YOUR FEEDING THE DEER.THERE MUST BE SOME TYPE OF EXCEPTION TO THE RULE?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
B&C 140 Class

They'd nail you on it. Best not to put it out. I have seen similar things happen. We grow tobacco here and it used to be general practice to sow wheat on your field after cutting the tobacco. Back then that usually happened around the first of september, opening of dove season. If you shoot doves close to that field and the game warden find one grain of wheat.....you're busted. I've seen it.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
B&C 140 Class

Let me clarify....Feeding turkeys is ok.......hunting near it is another story if turkey season is in.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
B&C 140 Class

Oh Ok I Got You Now
Old 04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
B&C 140 Class

Also...if you put out a pile of corn and hunt turkeys...they'll bust you. But if you set up on a freshly picked corn field...you're ok. Fine line there. Something to do with the natural order of things