Deer Hunting Forums banner

food plot question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to start of food plot on the property that I hunt but ran into a small problem. There is 1 area that I can start a nice sized plot but the problem is that the soil has alot of rock in it. Its not like straight gravel but alot of rock. The question I have "is there anything that I could grow in this kind of soil conditions that the deer would eat?" The location is a perfect spot for a plot but the soil is hard with alot of rocks. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Fairly new to food plots myself. Best advice I can give is get a soil test done. I have made this mistake & was just throwing money away
You can even get a soil tester & do it yourself then fertilize accordingly
If there is good dirt you can go most anything depending on what you call a lot of rocks. You also need water & good sun

#3 ·
First off, can you till the soil or is it too rocky??? If you ace till it even a little bit, I would try buying some inexpensive turnip seed. However, if you were going to do turnips, I would do them ASAP as it's getting kind of late for them- but they may still do you some good for this year-especially during late season. What I do is get a 5 gal bucket and fill it with good black dirt and I mix my turnip seed into it and then I mix it by pouring it into a 2nd 5gal bucket about 20times back and forth. Then go to your plot location and cast the dirt (with the seed in it) by hand. Then I take a garden rake and lightly go over the area to ensure I have it good and spread out and even.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.