Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Food Plots (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/food-plots/)
-   -   PA (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/food-plots/10433-pa.html)

Hunting Man 02-01-2013 09:07 AM

PA

It's a bit early, but starting to think what I want to plant in PA this year. The two food plots are about 1.5 and 1/2 acre. I have many trails I can till up around the property also. I have access to a Kuboto 4 wh drive with a 60" King cutter rototiller. I used it about 4 years ago and it does an amaising job leaving the dirt level like a sidewalk behind you. My initial thoughts are to just mix up several bags of stuff and fertilize it and see what grows. Clover, brassicas, chickory, maybe oats too. Open for suggestions. This will be a late spring planting like late May as soon the ground drys up. Brassicas may go into the small plot and kept separate. The trails might end up being planted with a good rye grass or something? Just thinking. :coffee:

spiker 02-01-2013 07:14 PM

I think ur spot on Hm.The mixes are nice cause they ll eat the annuals first which will then let the clover gain a foothold.The rye grass is great for the hard trails it just doesnt last long.Also keep the brassicas separate cause there gonna tear ur ground up.For what its worth ive had good luck here up north with frigid forage mixes.

Bud 02-02-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiker (Post 75089)
I think ur spot on Hm.The mixes are nice cause they ll eat the annuals first which will then let the clover gain a foothold.The rye grass is great for the hard trails it just doesnt last long.Also keep the brassicas separate cause there gonna tear ur ground up.For what its worth ive had good luck here up north with frigid forage mixes.

How do the brassicas tear the ground up.I have never planted them before.Oh Huntman you sound like you got it going on.Not sure of your deer density but you might have to put some sort of a barrier up tell it get established.I have struggled in the past with small food plots

Hunting Man 02-02-2013 07:47 PM

The first year I planted brassicas they did great, the bulbs were 4-6" in diameter, 6-8" long and the plants were 30" tall. I have not been able to get a good repeat though. This year I am going to do my best to get in some decent plots. The nice thing about brassicas is the deer won't touch the plants till after the first frost then they mow them down because of the sugar content in the leaves, sugar beet family, with high protein content like 35%. The deer will then dig out the bulbs even with frozen ground. Deer densities have dropped off for several years in PA where I hunt. Hopefully in mid to late May the ground will be ready to till! I still have a small amount of clover and chickory growing from past years. We have some needed camp work to do also which will require a 4 day weekend. We're putting in a 250 gal propane tank but have to trench a long line to the camp through rock, yea :crybaby:

spiker 02-03-2013 12:33 PM

I meant the deer will tear up the ground they dig for em.

bigbear 02-04-2013 08:54 AM

Brassica plots

You should not plant brassicas in the same plot year after year. They use up too much nitrogen and other minerals in the soil like corn does. They need to be rotated with legumes like clover, alfalfa, beans and peas. these all add nitrogen back to the soil.