Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Food Plots (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/food-plots/)
-   -   Winter feeder for your herd (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/food-plots/10388-winter-feeder-your-herd.html)

Bud 01-10-2013 06:31 PM

Winter feeder for your herd

Just wondering how many of you run feeders from late Jan to early May?Also what do you run in them pellets or corn and if pellets what type?

Hunting Man 01-10-2013 06:38 PM

my son is running all corn in the feeders and mineral blocks on the ground.

tator 01-11-2013 12:25 PM

Corn corn corn--- they love it more than anything right now

Bud 01-11-2013 07:27 PM

I want what will help them get through the winter fat and healthy.Just dont think corn is the deal.I plan on after a week or so of feeding 2lbs twice a day to jump that to 5lbs or more twice a day.It is 800 acres and the herd is close to 100 does.

Hunting Man 01-11-2013 08:14 PM

I'd also put out several bales of good quality alfalfa (spell)? every week spreading it out to keep the deer separated. 100 deer is a lot to feed. 5lbs of corn won't get it done. 100 lbs in a spreader feeder throughout your property bi-weekly might help them somewhat. I'd add a few bales in also.

Bud 01-13-2013 09:29 AM

I am waiting to here back from Purina now.The corn is only to get them use too feeding at the feeders.Plan all along has been pellets just not sure which brand.I will look into getting some alfalfa hay for them as well.I was hoping for else than $50 a week but starting to wonder.I will let you all know what the Purina rep has to say in his email reply

tator 01-14-2013 10:09 AM

wow, $50 a week? In my opinion, that's a waste of money. I'll buy them a few sacks of whole corn at MFA for $12 a sack and that's it. $50 a week ain't happening from me. The deer here do just fine on their own. Besides, I don't want them becoming dependant on my corn or food. They're wild animals. Once again, all of this is my opinion.

Where you live?

Hunting Man 01-14-2013 12:28 PM

Would depend on their nutrient availability and winter kill for me to decide if I would help feed. In nothern Michigan I did put out feed to help them through the winter. In PA my buddy puts out a few bales in late Jan-Feb. I can't see feeding in warm Southern states or even Tenn, KY ect ect. Late season food plots are probably more cost effective if the snow isn't too deep for the deer to paw down to. To each their own on this one, if you have the money to feed constantly heck I'd do it too!

tator 01-14-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunting Man (Post 74732)
if you have the money to feed constantly heck I'd do it too!

Very true,,,, me as well.

Bud 01-16-2013 07:16 AM

I am from KCMO but the lease in in Camden county.I is worth the money if it makes the herd health and lets these acorn deer reach there true genetic potential.Of course the most for the buck is what I am looking for.Thanks for all your time and thoughts I will keep you all posted.