What to plant? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Game Management > Food Plots

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Default What to plant?

I'm gonna put out three food plots this spring two are 1/4 acre and the other is 1/2 an acre I live in southern MI and we have sandy soil, I'm lookin for input on what to plant and what brand of seed to use, being that I'm new to this any advise would help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 PM
B&C 180 Class

I'm no expert in soils and brands of seed, but I do have some suggestions for you and a question.

First off, why are you wanting to plant a food plot in spring? Are you looking to capitalize off of it in early deer season? One thing I might caution you about is with a small food plot, it may be all gone by the time your hunting season rolls around.

If you are wanting to use this plot for more early to mid-season hunting, I would suggest planting in early August and maybe try out some turnips, oats, or brassica's (sp?) Even clover would be good for them.

If you are wanting to use this plot for more late season hunting, then I would strongly suggest something like turnips, corn, or beans.

I know there are other things to plant but here in Missouri, I keep it simple. The only thing I plant at all is turnips and I do this in early to mid-august. Right now, with 5 inches of snow on the ground the deer are tearing up my plots to get to those turnip bulbs. They'll eat the leaves from Nov-Dec and then when it starts freezing they'll start digging them up to get to those bulbs.

Good luck to you, I know I didn't help you out with the specifics, but let me know if I can help in any way!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
B&C 160 Class

Soy beens if you get lucky with rain food all summer and fall into winter
Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
B&C 140 Class

Turnips and/or grade 5 soybean , got to get the grade 5 caz they are a late season bean that will still have green leafs into late October and depending on conditions have seen them still green into November.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Scrub Buck

To answer your question Tator, I wanted to plant in the spring so the deer would have a constant food source on my property but if you think they would demolish it by fall then I'll hold off till August.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
B&C 180 Class

If I were you I'd do one of two things...

1. wait till August and plant a large turnip bed

OR

2. In spring plant soybeans (which will last long into fall and even winter)

With the soybeans, it's been my experience that deer will eat the flowerings and even leaves and young beans during the summer but typically just around the edge of the field. Hunting over this during early season and even late season would be beneficial to you.

With the turnips, you're going to have to be patient. Yes, they will eat the leaves and steams of the turnip (typically after the first frost) but they will absolutely tear up the bulbs towards late season (they'll actually dig them out of the ground).

If you are looking to hunt early to mid season, I'd go with soybeans. If you are more of a late-season hunter I'd go with turnips.

Good luck man!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post

2. In spring plant soybeans (which will last long into fall and even winter)
Good luck man!
Here the deer eat the darn soybeans as soon as the plant comes up & I mean wipe it out need to spray it or fence it till you want them eating it

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
B&C 180 Class

Here in MO they'll go around the bean field about 5-10yds in and eat them all up once they are about half way mature.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

Soybean is like a deer magnet from April to Feb with 30% protein.Well worth the cost to ribbon it off.