Deer Hunting Forums banner

Blood trail problems.

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I've had a Ten Point Elite, shooting 125 Spitfire mechanicals since '95. I Hunt from a ground blind off a bait pile at 30 yards. I've harvested 8-10 standing (still) and broadside deer. However, due to lack of blood trail on leaves I've lost 5-6 deer. I now hunt mainly over snow to avoid that.

The best theory on blood loss I've come up with is that the bolt deflects from the area of impact (lungs) radically enough to travel through the intestines and on exiting carries out enough intestines to plug the exit hole, thus restricting blood flow.
With all the deer I've harvested (or wounded) the bolt has passed completely through, landing well on the other side.

Because of the deer I've tracked and retrieved by tracking them over snow I've written off the following offered theories: The deer are moving from the bolt release sound but I just don't see it. The blades on the Spitfire didn't open. My bow string is stretched and the bolt is not flying straight. I would welcome any other theories.

#7 ·
I know the Rage has proponets however, I've seen first hand the loss of several deer hit well with them. I still have doubts on mechanical broadheads. I like Muzzy MX3
I've never been a fan of mechanical broadheads and I'm also a Fan of Muzzy Broadheads. Good Luck
Thanks for the input on the fixed blades but I have one unopened 3 pack of the Rage and one of Meat Seekers, besides I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do. I've always been a gadget freak.

One thing I'm thinking about is this issue of "sail" with a fixed blade. I only shoot 30 yards and have to wonder if "sail" would even be an issue at that distance?

Also, I'm not writing off the fact that maybe crossbow bolts go crazy in a deer for factors the manufacturers don't want to talk about. After all the bolt isn't released near as smooth as a compound and that rather short thing is traveling awful fast.

#4 ·
Yes delbert I will be trying new heads this year. The Spitfires are opening up but because they open from the front I figure that may cause a deflecting problem. So for this year I bought a pack of the Rage two blade and a pack of the meat seekers 3 blade because they open up different and just look like they may deflect less. I'll be letting you know.
By the way, I've only been using the crossbow since 2005 not '95, that damn spell check!

#5 ·
Yes Moderator I may end up going with a fixed blade yet. I've hit a couple deer where it was unbelievable how crazy the bolt had traveled after hitting a lung then bouncing around inside slicing the liver then shattering a rear hip where I know the deer was broadside.

#10 ·
I just got a great idea, thanks to you guys!
After posting about my lack of blood trail I now got 4 posts saying I should go to Muzzy's but I have two unopened packs of Rage and Meat Seekers, so what to do?

So…. I'm going to buy a few Muzzy's and only use them over leaves. Then when the snow comes in Dec. switch to the mechanicals. I like it! I see this as adding to my hunting experience and one day may give me some cred on this subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.