Deer Hunting Forums banner

What Broadhead do you use??

9K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  RobertSmith 
#1 ·
Guys,
Just doing a little mini survey of what broadhead, mechanical or fixed, you have or are now using especially the mechanicals, plus of course your bow etc.
Thanks,
daddus

#6 ·
sure Spiker way to Highjack the crossbow forum
speaking of that HB I sure hope those Rage work out for ya otherwise HM will be all over me!
cant wait to try those Buzzcuts

#7 ·
GFD2, not me that will using those 2-blades but my buddy is hooked on them. Here's the tale of the tape, I lost a nice buck to the Rage 3-blade head, which I only used 1 season, the shot looked great frontal mid body high/low. I found one of the blades missing from the head and the buck never went down finally loosing blood trail. My buddy has lost 3 deer to the 3-blade Rage, two of the deer were nice bucks. I have not lost a single deer since going to the muzzy MX3 heads. I have not have had a marginal hit to guage the Muzzy with but whatever works you should stick to. I have used Muzzy heads for many years now and for me they work!

#8 ·
I was kidding HM
I know you had bad luck with the 3 blades. Honestly I never used the 3 blades cause I didn't like the looks of them. I have shot a handful & crew total is around 10 deer using the Rage 2 blade furthest deer dropped was about 125 Yards average is 40-50 yards
I personally have not had one go over 75-100

#11 ·
gfd, you've been very lucky using mechanicals, but about every other person I know that's tried Mechanicals's have all complained about them, not just rage but many of the others too, I used mechanicals many years ago and I really can't recall the brand I used but I too couldn't get to where I felt confident using them I pretty much ruined 2 good archery seasons because of broadhead issues, maybe after all these years there's been some changes to design or quality control but for me the bottom line is this, mechanicals have a much greater risk of failing compared to fixed broadheads, so from now on I'm always going to play it safe and stick with Fixed blade broadheads and fixed is all I'll ever recommend.

#12 ·
I will agree that there is a better chance of failure with a mechanical that goes with anything that has moving parts. I think they have come a very long way in quality & engineering.
You just put all mechanicals as Failing way to often & that is purely not true

#15 ·
I will agree that there is a better chance of failure with a mechanical that goes with anything that has moving parts.
I think they have come a very long way in quality & engineering.
You just put all mechanicals as Failing way to often & that is purely not true
your comment, which I underlined, is exactly what we must emphasize when someone wants advice on which Broadheads we would recommend,
It doesn't do the hunter any good if we don't explain their options then let them decicde which Broadhead they would prefer to use.
Now I Agree, technology has come a long way and some folks are having good luck with mechanicals,
but here's another example from a 2012 mechanical broadhead failure Video which shows even with the best technology and highest quality control standards, "mechanical faIlures" still occur.
I'm not bashing mechanicals, I'm really not, some folks are head over heels in love with them, I just happen to be a Pessimistic on mechanical broadheads...
(Pessimistic, Adj. pessimistic - expecting the worst possible outcome) lol

#13 ·
Well since I already hijacked the thread I may as well continue.For ole timers like Bruce & Hm (with all due respect) the designs of early mechanicals were horrible with a failure rate of about 50%.Now of course with technology the advancements are many and they are a viable option.With that said I believe if can get your bow to tune with a fixed blade it is the best option.I like a good sturdy one piece fixed head no chance for failure.IMHO

#18 · (Edited)
Bruce No worries It was just the way it was written I don't believe all mechanicals fail often all is good
& Yeah I am ready to get in the woods tired of cutting grass, wood, banging nails & wearing out my 3D target

#19 ·
I shot the Rocket Hammerheads for years
Last year they were sold out when I needed them
I shot Q3s or something, I will take a rubber band any day over spider clips
I got a Bass pro mag yesterday have them on sale for 19.97
I bought 3 3 packs 3 blade 2" cut never lost a deer with them
Just saying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.