Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Crossbows (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/crossbows/)
-   -   What was I thinking (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/crossbows/11737-what-i-thinking.html)

Hunting Man 05-23-2013 09:48 PM

What was I thinking

Sometimes I ask myself, self are you that stupid? Last year was my best year ever and switching to a crossbow most likely was the reason, however, nobody said to take a couple of junk bolts with you to discharge at night or to dispatch a downed buck. I know, I know, I learned just how expensive bolts are because I destroyed 1/2 doz fmj's. This year, as I am now economically educated, :w00t: will be carrying 1-2 junk, el cheapo, don't care about, throwaway, bolts. After some 40+ years chasing deer, one would have thought the simple things wouldn't go unnoticed, ya right!! :sadbanana:
I purchased a 1/2 doz Black Eagle bolts just for the light duty stuff for the dummy at the rear of the crossbow! :wacko:

gfdeputy2 05-24-2013 07:28 AM

HM Never too old to learn new tricks
I don't know much about crossbows but I thought they had a way to disengage the string without having to fire it
See not to old to learn new tricks

BruceBruce1959 05-24-2013 07:36 AM

I'm not a crossbow user but the "Unloading" part seems to be a big issue for many Crossbow users. Maybe it's time to go to the " I've got an idea, Inventors throne ":w00t:
and come up with a product to correct the issue... here's a little encouragement, think Patent!!! :biggrin:

tomlightfield 05-25-2013 12:10 PM

I know well the feeling you're talking about HM. There is a way to use your rope cocker to "unload" the cocked crossbow, but as most c-bows have a second safety whereas a bolt has to be loaded in order to fire(release), I also just do what you did, carry a couple cheaper bolts and shoot one into the ground when I'm done. I 've done this a bunch of times and still haven't wrecked the same bolt or lost it.

delbert 06-01-2013 10:45 AM

I put my foot in the stirup put my gloved hand on the string and pull

Hunting Man 06-01-2013 01:43 PM

My problem is the shoulders are so bad I think one would come out of the socket trying to hold the 200 lbs. I really hate to shoot and make noise at the end of an evening's hunt but I don't know what else to do??? I suspose the ones with the crank handle loaders can unload the same way? I can load my Excalibur in like 5 sec but the guys using the handle assists take a couple of minutes.

gfdeputy2 06-04-2013 05:23 AM

Actually HM I asked about that at my bow shop this past weekend having to pick up new arrows since my Wifes boxer chewed $70 worth of arrows (Long Story) The crank models still need to be shot off he told me there are ones out there that run off Co2 & those can be unloaded with the Co2 I assume it discharges the Co2 slowly

Hunting Man 06-04-2013 09:48 AM

I thought the crank models could take up the tension enough to let the off the trigger then just back crank them that means doing it in the dark and that wouldn't be fun but I didn't know you can't do it. I guess I'll just stay with the new plan and shoot the el cheepo bolts at the end of each day. Has anyone heard of Black Eagle arrows? Found them on line and price is not bad at all. I will use these to offload the bow.

gfdeputy2 06-04-2013 11:43 AM

HM I am not sure they had a few crank models in there don't even recall the brand He told me those had to be shot off so I assumed they all did when he mentioned the Co2 ones
HM looks like some crank models can be decocked with the crank sounds like the PSE Tech series some parkers & poss a bowtech

Hunting Man 06-04-2013 05:55 PM

Last year after watching my buddy use a crank cocking device I knew right there it was too much hassle. I like my rope stringer. I hope to save a few bolts and not destroy them every night.