What was I thinking - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Crossbows
Crossbows Discuss all crossbow topics here

Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM
B&C 140 Class

The pse tac 11 an tac 15 both can be uncocked with the built in cocking leaver, there are many YouTube vids on them.
I just upgraded to a Stryker 350 crossbow, n I like to keep a foam block where I park to unload into. Living at a lake, old dock foam is readily available everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

HM,
Why the swithch from FMJ's to a new arrow? Do the new ones work as well as the FMJ's?
daddus
Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM

well after destroying the FMJ bolts last year I thought I'd cut cost a bit, I don't want to cut quality. I did shoot the Black Eagle bolts and they shoot fine. I did learn that 1/2 moon nocks and flat nocks do not shoot to the same spot. The Excalibur requires flat nocks and my learning curve is a bit slow these days so flat nocks it is. I also thought the FMJ dent rather easily. I lost every bolt that I hit deer with last year. I was hoping that in a complete pass through the bolt may be cleaned and used again?? I still have time to decide on what I'll shoot this year but probably won't be the FMJ's. Look up Black Eagle products and let me what you think.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
well after destroying the FMJ bolts last year I thought I'd cut cost a bit, I don't want to cut quality. I did shoot the Black Eagle bolts and they shoot fine. I did learn that 1/2 moon nocks and flat nocks do not shoot to the same spot. The Excalibur requires flat nocks and my learning curve is a bit slow these days so flat nocks it is. I also thought the FMJ dent rather easily. I lost every bolt that I hit deer with last year. I was hoping that in a complete pass through the bolt may be cleaned and used again?? I still have time to decide on what I'll shoot this year but probably won't be the FMJ's. Look up Black Eagle products and let me what you think.
about the nocks. use what your xbow manuf. says to in the owners book. some xbows that use the halfmoon the string will jump over on a flat nock. this could be bad in many ways. I use the cx carbon express carbon arrows. and wont change. I tried other carbon express arrows that cost 2Xs the $$ and also tried a few other brands and they cost me a few nice deer. I have also learned that the 4"-5" fletchings fly the best. I tried the 2" and very unstable. Im takeing my xbow to the shop and having new string and cables installed
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
B&C 140 Class

HB,
How many shots do you think you have on the existing string? Is it fraying or something? Or do you just think its time for a new one?
daddus
Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 PM

I'm shooting 2" vanes and can get touching groups from my gun rest at 20 yds. I have no problem going out to 40-45 yds but that's about it for me.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddus1 View Post
HB,
How many shots do you think you have on the existing string? Is it fraying or something? Or do you just think its time for a new one?
daddus
The string and cable looks fine. I keep them waxed. xbow is 5yrs old and last season I noticed a lose in power and speed. shots were falling short so time for new ones. Id say average 4 deer per season = 20 shots, 5yrs of missed deer= 4, 5yrs of target and siteing in shots at say 25 per year =125. total shots before noticeing a difference= 150 +/- shots. also forgot decocking shots= 25 +/- so string and cable have average 175 +/- shots

Last edited by Hellbilly; 07-04-2013 at 02:24 AM.