Illuminated nocks - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Crossbows
Crossbows Discuss all crossbow topics here

Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Illuminated nocks

Well a couple of days ago I went to the indoor range to see how my luminocks would fare. After shooting for about 1.5 hrs I came to some interesting conclusions. I thought that with an illuminated nock that it might help me to pick up arrow flight but as fast as these things fly I realize that was an error on my part. As I think back when watching the lighted nocks on TV I was watching from an angle and they were shot with a convential bow therefore allowing me to watch their flight. It's a little different when you are focusing on getting a good hit.The Luminocks did function as advertised every time without fail and really lighted up. (no lost arrows even in daylight). The only drawback was the first few times I shot, the nock had to be grasped by my leatherman and worked open, now I can do it by hand. So overall I guess they do what they claim.
daddus
Stryker 380
Easton Blood Lines
125 gr field points
Burt Coyote Luminocks
125 Jak Hammer by Wasp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 AM

Daddus the use of the leatherman might be a good thing I had a lot of issues with the B.C.s
fit was not tight they would not consistantly light & most times light would go out on impact
last year I started using the nockturnals & like them better light never fails but still some are a loose fit I do like the idea of being able to replace the batteries in the B.C. though

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

My opinion , you need to take the luminocks back and buy nokturals, buch better light and you have to turn them off
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM

I've never used lighted nocks, whats the main reason for using them. Finding your bolt or seeing where you hit the animal?? I pretty much know where my shots go but have lost a couple of bolts in just the first year of the cross bow use. Are they really worth the money, none of my buddies use them.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM

HM
they claim you can see where your arrow is going in flight but as Daddus stated not easy to do with the speeds of todays bows but my main use for them is after the shot to help locate my arrow. I have had a couple arrows I don't know if I would have found without the lighted nocks
for me adding up my setup at roughly $30 for $8-$10 per nock for me it is worth it to help me find my setup most times you don't need it but I have had them burry in tall grass, had one that was a pass through shot but fletching got caught in the exit side of the hide and found 30 yards away where it came loose & was about 20 yards off the blood trail

I will say when using the Nocturnals I now put a small piece of tape over the switch hole. I could not believe with the speed of the arrow that the nock would fill full of blood making it hard to see the light even though they are very bright

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 02-26-2013, 03:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

GF,
How long have you been using a crossbow and how long for the luminated nocks?
daddus
Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 AM

Daddus don't shoot a crossbow just a compound but have used lighted nocks for about 10 years I started with the Stingers (worst I ever used)
then went to the B.C. luminocks then tried a bunch of others till I settled on the Nockturnals. They are not perfect but the best & brightest I have used so far except for the fact you can not replace the batteries I am starting to work on making my own now & will see how they work out does not seem hard to do & savings is $3-$5 depending on which ones you buy

Steven Wright
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

I have been thinking about trying them out. If the cost of them aint to high they would save me money by finding all my arrows and xbow bolts. with the cost of the shafts and broadheads can be pricey.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 AM

hellbilly reason why I started using them when I got back into bow hunting about 8 years ago was losing arrows & I can say they have saved me some cash but I just continued to use them now on the range I hardly ever loose an arrow & do help a lot locating an arrow after pass throughs
Nockturnals I buy on Ebay you can find them regularly for under $25 for a 3 pack they had some issues with a loose fit when Rage took them over but I do think they cured that. had a few that would stay on the string after firing but I just put a small wrap of teflon tape on the shaft & worked fine. have not purchased any since (over a year ago) but I did contact them & they were aware of the issue & were resolving it
I do need to get some new ones

Steven Wright
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM

To all looking at lighted nocks I just made my first one costs less then $4-5 to make & work just as good as any on the market
And SO easy to make takes only about a min to assemble & about 10 min dry time

Steven Wright