Deer Hunting Forums banner

Illuminated nocks

10K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Mtns2hunt 
#1 ·
Well a couple of days ago I went to the indoor range to see how my luminocks would fare. After shooting for about 1.5 hrs I came to some interesting conclusions. I thought that with an illuminated nock that it might help me to pick up arrow flight but as fast as these things fly I realize that was an error on my part. As I think back when watching the lighted nocks on TV I was watching from an angle and they were shot with a convential bow therefore allowing me to watch their flight. It's a little different when you are focusing on getting a good hit.The Luminocks did function as advertised every time without fail and really lighted up. (no lost arrows even in daylight). The only drawback was the first few times I shot, the nock had to be grasped by my leatherman and worked open, now I can do it by hand. So overall I guess they do what they claim.
daddus
Stryker 380
Easton Blood Lines
125 gr field points
Burt Coyote Luminocks
125 Jak Hammer by Wasp

#2 ·
Daddus the use of the leatherman might be a good thing I had a lot of issues with the B.C.s
fit was not tight they would not consistantly light & most times light would go out on impact
last year I started using the nockturnals & like them better light never fails but still some are a loose fit I do like the idea of being able to replace the batteries in the B.C. though

#4 ·
I've never used lighted nocks, whats the main reason for using them. Finding your bolt or seeing where you hit the animal?? I pretty much know where my shots go but have lost a couple of bolts in just the first year of the cross bow use. Are they really worth the money, none of my buddies use them.

#5 ·
HM
they claim you can see where your arrow is going in flight but as Daddus stated not easy to do with the speeds of todays bows but my main use for them is after the shot to help locate my arrow. I have had a couple arrows I don't know if I would have found without the lighted nocks
for me adding up my setup at roughly $30 for $8-$10 per nock for me it is worth it to help me find my setup most times you don't need it but I have had them burry in tall grass, had one that was a pass through shot but fletching got caught in the exit side of the hide and found 30 yards away where it came loose & was about 20 yards off the blood trail

I will say when using the Nocturnals I now put a small piece of tape over the switch hole. I could not believe with the speed of the arrow that the nock would fill full of blood making it hard to see the light even though they are very bright

#7 ·
Daddus don't shoot a crossbow just a compound but have used lighted nocks for about 10 years I started with the Stingers (worst I ever used)
then went to the B.C. luminocks then tried a bunch of others till I settled on the Nockturnals. They are not perfect but the best & brightest I have used so far except for the fact you can not replace the batteries I am starting to work on making my own now & will see how they work out does not seem hard to do & savings is $3-$5 depending on which ones you buy

#8 ·
I have been thinking about trying them out. If the cost of them aint to high they would save me money by finding all my arrows and xbow bolts. with the cost of the shafts and broadheads can be pricey.

#21 ·
Initial cost is kind of high IMO but the savings in finding otherwise lost arrows is well worth the cost. I use crossbow shooting 340 fps and have had no problems watching the arrow flight and pass through.

I started using Luminocks because I read nockturnals do not hold up well. It was said that they came apart when shot leading to a dry fire - can not afford that - too dangerous.

Still using Luminocks as they work as described.

#9 ·
hellbilly reason why I started using them when I got back into bow hunting about 8 years ago was losing arrows & I can say they have saved me some cash but I just continued to use them now on the range I hardly ever loose an arrow & do help a lot locating an arrow after pass throughs
Nockturnals I buy on Ebay you can find them regularly for under $25 for a 3 pack they had some issues with a loose fit when Rage took them over but I do think they cured that. had a few that would stay on the string after firing but I just put a small wrap of teflon tape on the shaft & worked fine. have not purchased any since (over a year ago) but I did contact them & they were aware of the issue & were resolving it
I do need to get some new ones

#10 ·
To all looking at lighted nocks I just made my first one costs less then $4-5 to make & work just as good as any on the market
And SO easy to make takes only about a min to assemble & about 10 min dry time

#12 ·
I only made one just to see how they work
but I am ordering more lights so I will show them after I made the others
they are a really tight fit in the arrow so I don't want to pull it out till it dies
There are youtube vids on how to make them
it takes a lot longer to tell how to make them then it does to make them

#13 ·
Suggest illuminated ends for crossbow bolts

Hello fellow deer hunters,

Although I am an older man, I am just getting into crossbow hunting. I bought an Excalibur Vixen a few years back and looking forward to getting into the woods this fall.
Can anyone recommend a good illuminated end for my crossbow bolts? I can see myself losing a bunch of them being a newby and they are not cheap.
Any advice you are willing to offer on illuminated ends or crossbow hunting in general would be greatly appreciated.

pacard

#14 ·
PA,
Welcome and welcome to extending your hunting season. I like the luminocks,
shoot them out of a Stryker 380 and they have always illuminated.
They are a bit of a pain when they are new because I have to use my leatherman to turn them off till they get broken in, but they seem to work for me,
Old you are probably younger than me but the deer still get shot, they don't really care how old you are!!!
daddus

#15 ·
PACARD
Welcome to DHC I love the Nockturnals for compound not sure about crossbow bolts but if you are in the market I would personally stick with them or the luminocks
I have not had time to make anymore of my own yet but they are quick & easy to make just need nocks, thill battery lights (for lighted fishing bobbers) a knife & super glue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.