Joe paterno - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > College Sports
College Sports Discuss your favorite (or least favorite) teams from college sports.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default Joe paterno

Joe paterno=phony scumbag!!! In the end just another phony scumbag he's lucky he's dead cause he should be in jail!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
B&C 120 Class

Respectfully I disagree...

Let those that are truely perfect call that accusation. If he did know and purposely hid it - he made the wrong choice. Everyone makes wrong choices thoughout their lifetime. Just becuase everyone makes wrong choices dosen't make them all right. I have been a Penn State and Paterno fan my whole life - I do not hold anyone other than the Lord Jesus Himself in Hero status. Everyone other than Him will let you down at some point. As far as Joe - his side of the story cannot be told nor can he defend himself- therefore let it be. Tearing him down is only going to hurt his close family which is tearibly wrong in my view.

Regarding the punishments to the Unniversity and Football program - They do nothing to punish those guilty or liable and fully punish those that are innocent bystanders. Collge students at Penn State will not be able to cheer on there team at a Championship game for 4 years. The team will be less compettive because of this as higher caliber players will go elsewhere. They lost scholarship opportunities which hurt competitiveness. Students close to college years with a lifelong dream of playing for Penn State have had there championship dreams squashed. How is this fair. No one on the presumed guilty coaching staff is still their. Punishment for the sake of Punishment? How is that right to anyone involved? The collge community? Current and future students? Football Fans?

As far as sports go - I follow them less and less. I have had quite a few athlete letdowns over the years due to various reasons that made them not fit to follow or be a fan off. - Mark Mcguire, Sammy Sosa, Floyd Landis, Tiger Woods...

Spiker - Nothing personal and I will glady share a deer stand with you anytime!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
B&C 160 Class

Nothing personal a debate.Were talking about a man here who knew since 1989 kids were being raped.Now lets get one thing straight here my family is in law enforcement.This was not a choice it was a criminal act knowing these rapes were committed and then covering them up.This is not changing a kids grade so he can play on Sunday.This is kids being raped by a monster.In my eyes he's a pedophile just like Sandusky.I wonder if Paterno would ve left his grandkids alone with Sandusky?This was an atrocity no different when the church covered up their abuse.I dont know why people look up to this guy for god sakes he was a football coach.He's nothing.A soldier desrves respect and honor,policemen,firemen,first responders etc.Thats the problem with this country we look up to idiots and he was one of them.I agree the kids are not guilty for what these men did but Paterno and anyone else who covered this up should burn in hell.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
B&C 120 Class

If he knew - Yes he is just as guilty. I did not read the Freeh report and have no desire to. I did not listen to the court hearings and have no desire to. I chose not to follow this because the whole situation disgust me as did the race to judgement.

Our country looks up to celebreties way to much and they are held in an infallible heroic state - borderline worship status.

You rightly mention who real heros are along with those living there lives morally and doing what they are called to do everyday. Doing what is right has become something that is looked down on now a days.

Regarding burning in Hell - Not somethng I wish or want anyone to do. Thats bewteen Paterno and God, none of his actions/misactions matter as it is a free choice and personal decision.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Nothing personal a debate.Were talking about a man here who knew since 1989 kids were being raped.Now lets get one thing straight here my family is in law enforcement.This was not a choice it was a criminal act knowing these rapes were committed and then covering them up.This is not changing a kids grade so he can play on Sunday.This is kids being raped by a monster.In my eyes he's a pedophile just like Sandusky.I wonder if Paterno would ve left his grandkids alone with Sandusky?This was an atrocity no different when the church covered up their abuse.I dont know why people look up to this guy for god sakes he was a football coach.He's nothing.A soldier desrves respect and honor,policemen,firemen,first responders etc.Thats the problem with this country we look up to idiots and he was one of them.I agree the kids are not guilty for what these men did but Paterno and anyone else who covered this up should burn in hell.
100% with ya on this.He may not have done the molesting,but he is just as guilty for doing nothing. wrong is wrong.even if he did tell somebody and they did nothing he should have went further,called the cops not just keep quiet
Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well guys, my wife and I have been talking about this situation alot here lately as the punishment from the NCAA has been handed down. I have to say, I'm sort of in the middle of you three. I agree with spiker that Paterno knew this was going on and therefore he's just as guilty. IF he were alive today, he'd have already been in jail and posted bond.. let's agree to that. Do I believe he made a mistake? YES. I believe in any situation you have two options, to go along with it or reject it- no matter how serious the situation. In this case, I think Paterno didn't want to believe it was going on, but he knew it was. He was the sole person that should've blown the whistle. Think about this... if ANYONE else had blown that whistle what would've happened to them? They would've been ran out of PENN and the media would've distroyed them. They even said on the news that janitors actually SAW Sandusky raping boys. Think about their situation though... think about a janitor reporting this? What would happen to them? Utter RUIN... NOW... I'm not condoning what the janitors did- they should've done what was right, and they should've reported it NO MATTER the circumstance. My point is,,, PATERNO was the one that should've stepped up and done it. And he didn't.

As far as the NCAA's punishment.. Do I think it's too harsh? NO. In fact, I would've like for more to happen. You see, T2H, the NCAA has to make an example out of Penn State and I completely agree with it. If it means they lose a TON of things, so be it. I guarantee you it'll never happen again there. Which is the ultimate goal. They also want to make it loud and clear to all other NCAA schools that this crap will not occur without SEVERE penalties. Since this has really become a media hay-day, and EVERYONE knows about the Penn St. deal.... it will be easier for janitors in the future to come forward and report this. BECAUSE it has already happened else where. NCAA should have taken football away from Penn State for 4 years. PERIOD. Leave that stadium empty for 4 years so that ALL those coaches and trainers and people who knew about this going on, will never do it again. They should also suspend any and all football coaches for 4 years from coaching ANY NCAA, NAIA, or other collegiate or HS program. They will never do that again.

So like I said, I agree with both of you. Paterno has been judged by the Lord Almighty. It's not our place to say that he should burn in hell. That's the Lord's decision. Personally, I am thankful for my salvation. I know where my standing reservation is at when I die. :)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 AM
B&C 120 Class

Good perception on the whole matter Tator, and I'll bet there are a bunch more people who either knew or suspected what was going on but said nothing out of fear of repercussions or not wanting to get "involved". That whole deal is just such an absolute travesty.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM

The decision not to protect the kids ruined all that Joe pa did good on the field and will be remembered for what he didn't do more than all his football stuff. I liked him as a coach but now don't think much of him. Hopefully he found peace in death. He made a tremendously bad decision and many kids suffered a lifetime of hurt, maybe they will be rewarded when we all are judged. I have not heard what the NCAA has done so fill me in, I've been out of the country last week.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 AM
B&C 120 Class

Welcome back HM. Basically I think Penn State is banned from any post season appearances for 4 years, they were fined $60,000,000(yes million), and instead of the normal 25 football scholarships per year they are now limited to 15, if memory serves me correctly. Plus from what I hear the lawsuits are already pouring in like crazy. On a lighter note, let's hear the fishing report!!!???!!????
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM
B&C 160 Class

I still hope he burns in hell.Turning a blind eye to children being raped is disgusting.From the janitors,coaches,ad's,president,and paterno there all cowards.You dont worry adout your damn job you go and stop that kid from being raped.Mcquery(spelling) is the biggest coward on the face of the earth he coulda stop it.Where im from in New York you couldnt show your face if you let that happen,truly a coward.I dont know how you guys were raised but let me tell you something there lucky this wasnt my kid.These men are cowards who only cared about their football program and $$$$.Id shoot myself in the head if i turned my back on a kid being raped.I hope some corrections officer turns his back for a minute and then sandusky is gonna get what he deserves and although you may think its harsh in my eyes that corrections officer is a hero.Pedophiles and cowards who aide them and cover for them have no place on this earth.You talk about penalties for the school who cares these kids lives are ruined forever by a monster and bunch of scumbag cowards.