Joe paterno - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > College Sports
College Sports Discuss your favorite (or least favorite) teams from college sports.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
B&C 160 Class

Daddus your are delusional you people in pa act like this paterno is a god.This report was from a former FBI director and paterno the scumbag knew since 1989.Paterno was a football coach who let kids get molested.You can imagine any scenario you like but thats the truth.You would think with you being so religious you wouldnt run from the truth.How you defend paterno is beyond me no matter what god u believe in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Paterno failed to protect the kids!
What's entirely funny about this whole argument is that all the blame is being put on Joe Paterno. Where's Mike McQuery in this? You know, the big, strapping manly football player who first actually saw the event in question? Has anyone subtracted his man card because instead of laying down a whooping on an old, feeble child molester, he instead ran away and waited until the next day to tell his father and then Coach Paterno. If you saw a crime in progress, and you ran away and the next day told your dad is your Dad now responsible for the crime, or are you at fault for doing nothing at the very moment the victim needed you the most? Mike McQuery is the one who is totally at fault here, and he has disappeared because idiots want to go after 'the big name". If anyone chased and arrested McQuery, there wouldn't even be a news case because it's not sensational enough for the media. Ah, but bring down PennState and the last great, true head coach by finding fault with one single act where he, an old man, didn't understand modern changes in social issues. That's where your media jackals will have a field day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
This report was from a former FBI director and ....
... and the report is still badly, badly flawed. The report investigator Freeh never even interviewed any of the main people, he worked off heresay. he got McQuades (er, McQuery) name wrong. really!?! Ex-FBI Director and you get people's names wrong??? he got the timeline wrong too. What, did he pencil-whip this report out one night after partying because he wasn't going to get paid if he didn't produce a report? Puh-leese.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM

The discussion was around Paterno. My opinion, he simply passed the buck to protect Penn state as did all the rest of the higher ups. You cannot separate out one and not blame the rest. Each had a part in the protection of Penn state and participating in a coverup of one Man's perverted sins. To talk about Penn State as a whole, they are all equally wrong in the coverup. Sandusky is where he belongs. Penn State got wacked and everything else is now history.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
You cannot separate out one and not blame the rest.
And yet you are doing exactly that. All the blame is being put on Joe. The right answer is that the problem never even should have ever reached Joe. Mike McQuery should have ended it right there on the spot. And what about Mike's dad? Mike told him before he told Joe. Why isn't he being hung in effigy as a bad, bad father? Why didn't he do anything, and especially why didn't he do more? Why didn't he and Mike run right down to the State troopers or State College police immediately? The premise that the thread is about Joe is baseless since the problem never should have never even reached that spot.

Joe Paterno ran a squeaky clean football program that was more about raising young men than about winning. He graduated more players as students in one year than most programs did in three. His sole failure was he was an old school guy who didn't know how to handle an issue like this. And he did everything that was required of him. You're going to crucify a guy because "he didn't do more"? Then you better start lining up 99.99% of society.

Last edited by Scorpion8; 08-16-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM

You're forgetting the raped kids that Joe knew about. Also, I always held Joe to being one of college football all time great coaches so I'm not an anti Penn State basher. He knew there was a coverup, there's no denying it! Yes he should have done more, you and I would have because we know it would have been the right thing to do! He made a life's bad decision, we all make mistakes, however, our's probably didn't involve the knowledge of kids being raped. All of the people involved in the coverup are guilty. That's how I see it, doesn't make me right, but it's how I see it and that's good enough for me. I'm done with this as there are no other avenues to travel for me. All that are guilty should be tried in some manner! Joe went to his grave knowing the cat was out of the bag, may he rest in peace. I hope Penn State gets their house in order and comes back as a great college football program. Lets not forget the kids either, they must live a lifetime of horror.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
You're forgetting the raped kids that Joe knew about.
There's only one person who "knew" what Joe knew about and that information went to the grave with him. So don't assume that you knew he had to know. What Joe "knew" was that there was talk and previous incidents, all cleared by State College police, so that the football program seperated itself from Sandusky. Remember now that Joe was an old man, and had a 30-year friendship with Sandusky. Only today do we abandon our friends so casually. Back in Joe's day friendship meant something, an honorable quality that is no longer with us. What Joe knew whas that they had to distance themselves from Sandusky as much as possible.

Also recall from the trial that the lad that McQuery saw being "fondled" did not come forward as part of the lawsuit.

Secondly, stop throwing emotionally charged terms like "rape" into the discussion. Sandusky was never convicted of raping anybody. Read the charges. The young person that McQuery eye-witnessed was getting slapped on the butt by hands, not intimate sexual contact. Clearly inappropriate, but not rape. You're getting yourself charged into a tizzy with such emotional arguments that hold zero truth.

And you've never responded to the question of why go after Joe, exccept for the media sensation. Obama knows that American soldiers are dying every day in Afghanistan, does that make him solely and personally responsible for their deaths? Hell, you know it too, therefore YOU are personally responsible. The sole responsibility lies with the person who saw and could immediately stop an ongoing "assault" and that was Mike McQuery. And what did he do? He ran away. Everyone after that is just an intermediary, and while they have some guilt for "not doing enough", they hold no accountability because they weren't there, they didn't see, and they ultimately did what they were required to do: they informed someone who should have acted, the police.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM

wow you are all over the place, lets just agree to disagree. Nothing wrong in two people seeing things different. Paterno was a great college football coach and I'll leave it there.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:54 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
wow you are all over the place, lets just agree to disagree.
Because you make an irrational argument, and the counter argument needs similar examples to show that irrational path.

Quote:
Nothing wrong in two people seeing things different. Paterno was a great college football coach and I'll leave it there.
True on both counts.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 PM

I never try to please/agree with everyone here, wouldn't be any fun, so why don't we just call it closed. No one wins in these type of discussions, you cannot change my thoughts on this and neither will I change yours. Probably makes the best sense of all the posts on the subject. I'm sure the new college season has much more to discuss????
Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
I'm sure the new college season has much more to discuss????
I can't wait for the coming season! Go PENNSTATE!!!