Who has a rifle for me?!?! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Classifieds
Classifieds A place to sell your hunting equipment and find your next hunting spot.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Who has a rifle for me?!?!

Hi all, I am new to this site, I am a rookie deer hunter. I just finished my first hunt in northern MN, unfortunately I didn't get one but I loved the experience. I passed on a button buck that walked right under my stand. I also passed on a doe that I couldn't quite tell if she was in range. I am in college and do not have a very large budget. I am looking for a rifle, and I do not have a specific caliber in mind as I have done lots of research and from what it sounds like, as long as you make a good shot, the caliber doesn't matter too much, relatively speaking. I was thinking something between a .270 and a .30-06. I'm open to suggestions, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
ronn

good choices. Walmart has good prices but they can be little help if you aren't sure of what you are looking for. so a good gun shop is probably your best bet. if $$ is a problem think used but be cautious and ask to shoot it or if there is some type of warranty.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:46 AM
B&C 180 Class

yep what he said
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 PM

Both are great choices. The 270 has less recoil but there may be a good debate on which is the more accurate of the two. Ronn said it all too...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 PM

You can't go wrong on either choise. There are so many good quality rifles in both calibers that there should be no problem finding one that you like. The 270 may be a tad more accurate but not enough to sway either way. I have a couple of 30-06's and a 270 and can't tell which one is better. No matter what others may say, don't over look the Remington model 760-7600. These are nice deer rifles and plenty accurate and you can find them reasonably priced. You may want to add a 308 win or 280 rem to the mix!!!!! onehorse and ronn, I believe, think highly of the 280 rem.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM
B&C 100 Class

just my personal preference but i would go with an .06 recoil is a bit more than the 270 but i like having the ability to use it for elk and bear

work to live
live to hunt...
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

i have a Howa 1500 in 300 win mag... its a tack driver and is not that much cash....

check out gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com.