Courageous - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Christian Corner
Christian Corner Christian Talk Only in this Forum. Discuss Bible Topics, Post Prayer Requests, Etc.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Courageous

Well once again I have gotten myself to the point where I was too busy to stop and take time to pray and thank God for all He has done for me in my life. I can't tell you how lowly I feel when I realize that I had forgotten to pray to Him for a whole day or two even. The fact that I can't take time out of my day to thank my Creator for making me and for giving me my life, is absolutely as guilty as I can get.

Our church service this morning was centered around Men and how we need to be the center piece of our families. Our church showed the movie "Courageous" about 3 weeks ago and we are now going through 4 weeks of intense Bible study as a Church to bring out the intentions God has for Men. I can't tell you enough how this movie has touched my life guys. If you haven't watched it... I encourage you to do so, with your wife, girlfriend and children. Also- this movie is a GREAT way to invite other couples into your home (Christian couples or not) and then have a time of discussion afterwards. This movie is perfectly fine for children, but kids under 8 or 9 may not find it "interesting".

I would like to start a thread here (this one right here!) based on this movie. What did you think about the movie and how has it effected you and your life? Is your Church or Sunday-school class doing a study on this?

This next Sunday- Father's Day- our Church is having a special time during the main service to have all Men (voluntarily) stand up and say they will make the "RESOLUTION" to keep God the center of their lives. There is a document that we are going to sign and the Church is going to frame it for all the Men who do this. --watch the movie and you'll understand what the Resolution is.

God has helped me through so much in my life and I can't thank Him enough for it. I feel incredibly guilty when I don't pray to Him often enough.

I want to leave you with this- it is a verse in a song that all of you know (Amazing Grace, My Chains are Gone- version) and absolutely makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear it. It makes my eyes almost water and my mind and heart is filled with ultimate joy of that day when we are in Heaven with Jesus! Here it is:

"The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
the sun, forbear to shine,
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine,
Will be forever mine,
You are forever, mine."
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
B&C 120 Class

Thats awesome your church is doing that. My wife and I saw Courageous in the theater the night it came out and it was powerful. We definitely have a shortage of Real Men in our country today.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

I agree with you t2h. I myself struggle time to time with the duties of being a good daddy and husband. Sometimes it's easy to feel so selfish that I begin to worry about myself rather than my family. The point is this... God comes first, family is next. As men of our homes we need to focus less on ourselves first and more on protecting our families and their well-being. I'm beginning to understand that there are so many little things I need to just forget about and stop trying to do so much. It's the little things that end up occupying our time to the point where our kids are neglected and our wives at home are alone. I'm not saying, stop working hard at your occupation or to stop doing what you love... but sometimes I do stop myself and ask, is this task or journey worth my time? What else would I be doing if I weren't occupied doing this? Just about all the time the answer is BEING WITH MY FAMILY. The number 1 thing we can do is be "around" at home. Include our kids in everything we do, talk to our wives daily in a loving way and teach our family the importance of worshiping God for sending His Son to die for our sins.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
B&C 120 Class

Well said!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Thats awesome Tator. We watched this at church several months ago. I enjoyed the movie and the message it gave.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Scrub Buck

I thought it was a pretty good movie also, made a lot of good points and truly brought out that the man is the leader of the home.

One thing that is pretty amazing is that, to my understanding, these are not professional actors playing these roles and they do a great job!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM

I'm not trying to rain in here nor step on anyone's toes but... Phill was an alcoholic, so bad his wife left him. When he decided to mend his ways she took him back and the rest is history. I like the show but lets be real they are human like you and I, well maybe a tad richer.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
The point is this... God comes first, family is next.
Hmmmmmm.... Scratching my chin over that statement.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
B&C 180 Class

Scorpion, I understand your stance. But in my life, God is the only one capable of being placed in the number 1 position. I am in no way saying I don't love my family with all my heart.... but without God, I would have no family.
Please respect my beliefs as I do yours.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM
B&C 140 Class

Tator,
You got it right, God comes first and family second.
daddus