Sacrifice - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Christian Corner
Christian Corner Christian Talk Only in this Forum. Discuss Bible Topics, Post Prayer Requests, Etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Sacrifice

As Christians we are asked by God to lead a life of sacrifice. Now that doesn't mean that he wants us to give up everything we own or give up all our time. Too many times, I feel that Christians try to give way too much of their time or money to their Church. The Bible makes it very clear to it's readers that God should always come first in your life, but at the same time it stresses the importance of family. There have been many times in my life that my wife or child has been sick and I've had to miss church or church events because of it. The first reaction my mind makes is that I'm going to miss out on the events. That in itself is a selfish thought. I'm thinking about myself and pleasing myself and I'm putting myself before my family. In that situation, I prayed about it and it was very clear that God wanted me to stay home and take care of my family. There are always alternatives that you can do when this situation arrises. In my case, when my child and wife were sleeping, I read my Bible and did a Bible study.
Dealing with money now... We as Christians can often get caught up in how much we give to our Church. God directs us in the Bible that we are to give 10% of what we make to him. I also believe that your time and efforts can be used as tithes. In the summer time, I mow the Church lawn once a week. All in all I do this about 25-30 times a year. This takes about an hour to do after all the trimming and raking. I use this as part of my tithe because I don't get paid for it. I just do it. My wife and I are young and have a family and we don't have enough money to give 10% of our income a month. For us that comes to about $600 a month. I can honestly say that we darn near break even each month. As you all know with kids and vehicles, something always breaks or breaks down! We still give weekly to our Church but it's not %10. It's probably closer to 2 or 3% of what we make. Many would argue that this is selfish and that I'm not trusting God's word that he'll take care of us. That is not true. I tithe in another way. I think all Christians can do this. Doing things for others or for your Church is a sacrifice you are making. You are sacrificing your time with your family or friends to do something for God. God recognizes that and he greatly appreciates it. In a more general view, I guess you could say that your weekly tithe that the Church recieves could be going to the Lawn mowerer guy, instead in my case, I just do the mowing.
I try to do all things in Christ who strenghtens me! God Bless and Have a GOOD week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

Tator. i dont believe that tithing to god has to mean giving $$$ to a church. i believe that if you give to a fellow christan in need, that you are giving to god by taking care of one of his childeren. im not saying that giving to the church is a bad thing. just that i dont think it is the only way. and i do agree that it dose not need to be a monitary donation. you talk about mowing the churches lawn. i think that $$$ you saved them should count towards your 10%. i also think that if an elderly, sick, or injered member out you church needs some help around the house, and you help them that is also time given to god. im no preacher that is just how i see things.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
Tator. i dont believe that tithing to god has to mean giving $$$ to a church. i believe that if you give to a fellow christan in need, that you are giving to god by taking care of one of his childeren. im not saying that giving to the church is a bad thing. just that i dont think it is the only way. and i do agree that it dose not need to be a monitary donation. you talk about mowing the churches lawn. i think that $$$ you saved them should count towards your 10%. i also think that if an elderly, sick, or injered member out you church needs some help around the house, and you help them that is also time given to god. im no preacher that is just how i see things.

I'm glad you agree with me huntnh... I believe that giving money to the church is important, but that's not the only way. Many people can't give to the church the way I can (mowing, shoveling snow) so they give money. My wife and I give money and the other as well... but to me, it all adds up to my 10%. My main goal is to please God. It's not like my wife and I blow our money each month on stupid things. We spend our money wisely. We don't eat out much (maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks) and we don't splurge on things we don't need. Neither of us drink or smoke so we save alot of money that way too.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
B&C 160 Class

Tator. from all i have read of your post. i think it is verry safe to say that the way you live your life, and give your time and $$$$. that you are sucseading in your goal of pleasing the lord.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
Tator. from all i have read of your post. i think it is verry safe to say that the way you live your life, and give your time and $$$$. that you are sucseading in your goal of pleasing the lord.

well that's my goal! thank you for the compliment, but i do not consider myself any better a Christian than anyone else.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default I agree Tator,

My wife Katie and I have gone thru financial peace university given by author Dave Ramsey, he also has a talk show on a Christian radio station I listen to.
our goal and again this is just what you can personally handle is tithe 10% to church or a christian school for troubled teens in Lakemont, NY Freedom Village.
God has been stearing me toward this school for some reason, I think cuz I can relate to them from my previous foster homes as a young child and teen.
Mr. Ramsey swears by tithing once you get your house in order, the thing is you are doing something for someone other then ourselves which is rewarding in its own respect, and always remembering it is not my money I give but God's, for without him we would have nothing... I realize it is all God's and he is giving it on loan to me as long as I am on Earth, I cannot claim anything as truly mine other than my own soul, looking at the big picture is what it's all about, living for the Father.
I am not yet close to giving 10%, but like I said it is my goal.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
B&C 180 Class

Cool scentman! that's awesome! I listen to Christian radio too and I really like Dr. Randy Carlson. If you all can listen to him, it's well worth your time. His BIG plateform is being INTENTIONAL. He says it constantly, but he's right!
He has a philosophy of 10-10-80. Save 10% of your income. Tithe 10% of your income. Live on the remaining 80%. Now, I have to admit, right now, this is ONLY a good idea to me. My wife and I would like to reach this point someday. Right now, we're tithing more like 5% and giving our time the other 5%!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default It's great,

just to be in the game trying tator, thats all we can ask.