The real reason for the holiday... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Christian Corner
Christian Corner Christian Talk Only in this Forum. Discuss Bible Topics, Post Prayer Requests, Etc.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
B&C 180 Class

Thumbs up The real reason for the holiday...

I had a Bible teacher tell me once that he was thinking about Christmas cards and how people put "Happy Holidays" on them. To him this was sort of offensive. I have to admit, my wife and I never realized how this was offensive until we were in his class. The reason it's offensive is because Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ. It's not a time to celebrate anything else. Too many times in our lives we think about Christmas as a time to celebrate gifts, giving and santa claus. That not the real reason for the Christmas holiday. By saying "happy holidays" you are, in a way, not admitting that you are celebrating Christ's birth on this earth and the fact that God sent his son to be born to a virgin (which in itself is a miracle that only God could do). By saying Merry Christmas you are acknowledging that you celebrate Christmas by worshiping and thanking God for sending his son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins (which is something we as humans are not worthy of and we don't deserve). My wife and I are sure now to always buy Merry Christmas cards and it doesn't hurt to have a scripture out of the Bible in them as well. Something as simple as having a scripture verse in your Christmas cards shows others that you believe in the Bible and you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior!
Another pet peeve of mine is using the term "X-mas". Spelling it out makes me think about CHRIST-mas. By putting Christ first in your life, you will have the beginning of getting your priorities straight...
Like always, if anyone wants answers to questions about Jesus or God or anything Biblical please feel free to e-mail me at tay44lor@gmail.com. Or if you just want to talk about something going on in your life, I'm here for you guys... Everyone goes through hard times, especially this time of year. Remember the real reason for the Holidays!
JESUS CHRIST was BORN!!!
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

tator,
Very interesting post, email me at your leisure.
Your Brother
daddus1
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM
B&C 120 Class

Right on Tator!!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM
B&C 180 Class

I challenge everyone that from now, until Christmas day, keep a tally sheet or mental note of how many times you actually hear or see the words "MERRY CHRISTMAS". You see the media, especially, does not want to say the word Christmas at all. Think about it, what word makes up CHRISTMAS? CHRIST. Jesus Christ is the reason for CHRISTMAS, that's why it's call CHRISTMAS! You will, more times than not, see "Happy Hollidays", "Happy New Year", "Warm Holliday to you" everywhere you look. Why do people say happy holidays anyways? Is New Years Eve a holiday? Last time I checked, it's not. It's the beginning of a new year, why should be incorporate that with Christmas? My goal for myself and my family is to bring the focus of this Christmas back on Jesus Christ. I'm not worried about New Years Eve or Day... it's all about Christ!

Luke 2:9-14
9And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened.
10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people;
11for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
12"This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
13And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
14"Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased."

*This, my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, is the real reason for Christmas.

Last edited by tator; 12-01-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

daddus1, glad you thought it was interesting... Like I said in the post, I never looked at it that way. It opened my eyes and now, everywhere I look I notice this.
You are a true brother in Christ and it's good to find people who See the Light.

Would like to hear your testimony someday...