What is Prayer? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Christian Corner
Christian Corner Christian Talk Only in this Forum. Discuss Bible Topics, Post Prayer Requests, Etc.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default What is Prayer?

While doing some studying the other day, I ran across this information below and just thought it like WOW this really hits what Prayer is in our daily life.

Credit for the informaton

What Is Prayer ?

Persuing Real Intamacy with God

Why do you think many Christians do not pray and spend quality time with God daily, like Jesus did ? Some are too busy, some have wrong priorities, some are living for self and not for God, for some the cares of the world have crowded in and robbed them of the joy of having intimate fellowship with God, some have a lack of discipline, some lack faith, some are living in dis-obedience, some don’t know how to pray and have fellowship with God, and some have a wrong understanding of who God is. Many do not understand that God is love relationship oriented, and that His heart’s desire is to have close and intimate fellowship with His children. Many do not understand that being a Christian is all about having a growing love relationship with the One who loves them completely and unconditionally, and that it is not about being religious.

■ PRAYER IS VITAL TO HAVING INTIMATE FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD!!!

(God’s main call for your life: I COR. 1:9 “koinania fellowship”)
("koinania" fellowship- "the fullest possible fellowship & partnership with God, and with others in the church. Intimate fellowship with God and His son Jesus produces this type of fellowship and unity in a church. Only God can produce this genuine koinania fellowship, love, and unity.")
always remember that the greatest desire in God’s heart is for you to have a growing and intimate love relationship and daily fellowship with Him.
What is the first thing that you think of when you hear the word “prayer” ? Do you think of asking for things ? Praying for someone else ? Or something else ? Let’s see what God’s Word tells us about what God intends prayer to be:

■ PRAYER IS THE INTIMATE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THE HEAVENLY FATHER AND HIS CHILDREN.

“TRUST IN HIM AT ALL TIMES, O PEOPLE; POUR OUT YOUR HEART TO HIM, FOR GOD IS OUR REFUGE” - PSALM 62:8

God wants your communication with Him to be honest, open, and transparent. He wants to hear about whatever is in your heart - if you’re struggling, or angry, or worried, or anxious, or afraid or hurt,... He cares deeply and wants you to share everything with Him.

■ COMMUNICATION IS THE ACT OF MAKING ONE'S SELF UNDERSTOOD; THE EXPRESSION OF ONE'S THOUGHTS & IDEAS & OPINIONS & OF SELF. A GOOD RELATIONSHIP REQUIRES INTIMATE COMMUNICATION.

What is the first thing you think of when you hear the words “eternal life” ? Do you think in terms of time & eternity ? Do you think of heaven ? Or something else ? God defines eternal life as having an intimate relationship & fellowship with Him, where you are getting to know Him more and more, and thus trusting & obeying & following Him. Intimate communication with God is vital to getting to know God better, and hearing His voice is critical to knowing Him and His plans and agenda and dreams for you and your life.

"NOW THIS IS ETERNAL LIFE: THAT THEY MAY KNOW YOU, THE ONLY TRUE GOD, AND JESUS CHRIST, WHOM YOU HAVE SENT.” - JOHN 17:3

“... THAT YOU MAY KNOW AND BELIEVE ME, AND UNDERSTAND THAT I AM HE." - ISAIAH 43:10

- also see EXODUS 33:11, 13-18 and PSALM 142:1-6
- See “To Know God” (page 3) - the Biblical words for “know God” mean much more than our English word, which sounds like it means to know about God. God wants you to know Him by seeing and experiencing Him in and around your life. When you see and experience God’s faithfulness in your life for example, you then know that God is faithful. This is a much better and more intimate and real knowledge of God than just knowing about Him.

■ GOOD COMMUNICATION REQUIRES 2 PEOPLE (GOD COMMUNICATES WITH US AND WE COMMUNICATE WITH HIM IN PRAYER)

A close and intimate relationship needs to be a 2-way relationship. Intimate communication needs to be 2-way also, or it is not good communication. Hearing God’s voice is by far the most important part of our prayer and fellowship time with Him. If you are not hearing God’s voice, you are missing out on getting to know Him more, you will miss His plans for you, and you will miss out on the full & abundant life that He wants you to have, which is only found in Him.

■ INTIMACY WITH GOD COMES AS YOU DESIRE & SEEK TO KNOW HIM, HIS WILL & PLANS, AND HIS WAYS

- Review “ARE YOU SEEKING GOD ?” (Page 4)
- The Greek words for Pray or Prayer mean: to want, to desire, to long for, to ask or beg; great poverty or lack or need; a seeking or asking of God ; to pray earnestly or fervently
- The Hebrew & Greek words for Seek mean: to seek the face of God, to desire, to examine or explore, to seek earnestly, to diligently search for, to crave, to investigate, to pursue
- “I WILL GIVE THEM A HEART TO KNOW ME.” — JEREMIAH 24:7
God needs to touch all of our hearts so that He is our first love and we will hungrily and fervently seek to know Him more and more

■ PRAYER/TIME WITH GOD IS VITAL TO BEING CLOSER TO GOD, “ONE” WITH GOD, AND TO GROWING MORE LIKE JESUS (SPIRITUAL GROWTH)

“Prayer is designed more to adjust you to God, than to adjust God to you & your desires.”
“ The time a Christian gives to prayer & fellowship with God is not meant for his/her carnal or natural life, but to nourish the life of Jesus in him/her.” — Oswald Chambers
- also read JOHN 17: 20-21 , EXODUS 34:28-35 , and ROMANS 8:28-29

CS Lewis once said, "There are two kinds of people; those who say to God 'Thy Will be done' and those to whom God says, 'All right then, have it your way.'"

"Whitetail it's more than a passion, it's an addiction"

~~~~

Bowhunter and Handgun Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
B&C 180 Class

good post .prayer takes very little time and allows for reflection and has a calming effect,long as your not praying for that winning kick,hit,pass ,etckeep up the great posts
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

It sure does Joel.