fallin of the wagon - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Christian Corner
Christian Corner Christian Talk Only in this Forum. Discuss Bible Topics, Post Prayer Requests, Etc.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default fallin of the wagon

been about 2 months since we been to church. tried a few other just not the same without family and friends. Just havnt been digging the preacher. he has no pep. and just keeps saying the same thing over and over. his sermons or so short sometimes were out by 11:45. I have heard he is wanting to go someplace else. wish him luck,but please hurry. We really miss going,but would rather watch a good sermon on tv than be droned to sleep
Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 PM
B&C 180 Class

Hellbilly... I want to caution you with all due respect. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or try to talk down to you, but I want to caution you. When my wife and I got married, we moved to a town that was around an hour away from our home town. We went to 2-3 different churches and never felt "at home". While we went through that time, we didn't realize it, but we slowly stopped going regularly. Now that I look back on it, I realize we didn't put any effort into it. We didn't try to establish relationships with anyone and we didn't join any church groups (like sunday school classes, or any other worship services). We now live back in our home town and we regularly go to church and we are very much involved. We sometimes call our church our second family. The thing I have learned is that sometimes you may think you don't "need" to have relationships within your church, but there are people within your church who need you. They need you to be their friend and their "family". It's when you start relying on people in the Lord that you realize you need them too. It's an accountability thing. That's one of the big aspects of going to church that many people don't realize. They think they don't ever have to be "involved" in the church, but the truth is, God wants you to be involved. God wants you to be part of His church family. Not just for YOU, but for the people in the church who may need you in their life.
My point is this,,,, don't get complacent with not going to church. I realize sometimes the pastor and/or the congregation is not what you are looking for, I understand that, but I firmly believe the solution to your problem should not be just not going. I encourage you to find a place of worship and TRY to make it work. The truth is, ALL churches have their flaws,, after all we are human-- even the pastor. The most important thing to keep in mind is to find a church where the pastor preaches the BIBLE, and nothing else.
I grew up with a pastor that, to me, just didn't fit my needs. I didn't "get" his sermons and he was really long-winded. I was bored. It wasn't until I was around 19 or 20 and it started clicking. This man was a BIBLE preaching pastor. He spoke the truth. His sermons DID make sense, it's just that I never gave him the chance. I never gave him my full attention.

Good luck to you and your family. I too go to church with my family and extended family and it would be hard for me as well if they stopped going. I would definately feel tempted to not go as much. BUT then I'd be letting my church family down. This all goes back to the accountability thing I spoke of earlier.

Let me know how this turns out for you all,,, I'll be praying for you and your family
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
B&C 120 Class

Or, as an alternative, you could question why you feel the need to attend a church or be a member of a church? Are you less of a good person if you don't attend? Do you feel the urge to suddenly become a sinner if you haven't been inside a church?

I have nothing against anyone who goes, or anyone who doesn't. I don't feel the need myself, and haven't in 35+ years. I can find my religion and my gods anywhere, it doesn't have to be inside those 4 walls. And it doesn't make me any less good.

Just a counter-thought.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

My dad says if you fall off the wagon you have two choices. You can lay there and let the enemy have his way with you or you can just get back on the wagon and move on.
daddus
Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM

To each their own on this one. I'm not shuttered in by four walls either, however, I do not think less of those who do. God is where you find him and that is good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 AM
B&C 180 Class

Good points scorpion. I see your side. I choose to attend church mainly because it gives me a chance to be in close fellowship and worship with my church family. I don't go to church to satisfy myself, but to worship God. I do agree that worship can take place anywhere and at anytime. But when I don't go to church for any period of time I personally feel empty. The church is God's house. I look at it like this, if I had a close (and I mean really, really close) friend who lived only 5-10 miles away would I constantly just call him/her on the phone, or would I go visit them regularly? I think you know my choice.
As HM said, to each his own. Church is not the only place I go to worship God or to pray. Going to church is one of my many opportunities to express publicly my love for Jesus Christ and God my Father. In my life, I need that. I need to have people around me who hold me accountable for my life and actions. Just as I depend on my family I depend on my church family. I love them just the same. I do have to admit, there is a big difference in going to church and being connected within the church. There are many people in my church who attend but they are not plugged in. That's their choice. Is it right or wrong? I don't know. That's not for me to judge.

I like this conversation... any comments? Just so you all know, I pray *almost* daily for everyone on here. God bless!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
been about 2 months since we been to church. tried a few other just not the same without family and friends. Just havnt been digging the preacher. he has no pep. and just keeps saying the same thing over and over. his sermons or so short sometimes were out by 11:45. I have heard he is wanting to go someplace else. wish him luck,but please hurry. We really miss going,but would rather watch a good sermon on tv than be droned to sleep
I don't know the exact problems you are experiencing, but thought I would throw my two-cents in!

First of all, I agree with some of the others here that christian fellowship is very important. I, personally, was raised attending services and until recently have always been faithful in gathering with others at the place called "church". Now, I no longer have what some would call a church home. After several years of trying to stay faithful and make things work I have decided, at least in my case, that being faithful to what is being called "church" in my area would actually be leading me to be unfaithful to my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

What most are calling "church" these days rarely resembles anything of what the Scriptures speak of, or what "church" used to be. I am not a young man anymore, and I have witnessed such great changes within Christianity, most especially in the last ten years or so, that it is staggering. What amazes me though, is that most do not see that anything has changed, whatsoever! (Though I have talked with quite a few older Believers who are fully aware, some who have left the "church" as I, and some who stay in it, though it has only become a ritual to them and they no longer enjoy it).

So called "Christian" thought and terminology has taken on new psychological meaning that is very foreign to Scripture and has affected the minds of this new age we are now living. Turn on "christian" radio and listen to their talk shows, there will be nothing but christian psychiatrist talking about marriage, leadership qualities, the starting of new "church" programs, etc... They may give a Scripture verse or two but when they do it is usually taken out of context in order to fit with their program. We do not need more Dr. Doolittles, we need a return to sound, Biblical teaching. There have been may Bible teachers who have warned of such in the past, but I am afraid that most who call themselves christians have not heeded their warnings.

There is so much more I could say, but I am sure most are not interested in this type of discussion and will only see this as a crazy rant. What I would like to say though, is that if you are attending fellowship where the Word of God is truly upheld and has the Lord's blessing then you are truly blessed indeed. I would also add that there may be many who do not even know the difference, I would exhort you to speak to the Lord concerning this matter, asking His guidance, and praying that if anything is amiss in what you are calling your christian worship that He would show you the truth.

For those of you who are true, born-again Believers in Jesus Christ but no longer have a place of formal worship with others, I would encourage you to continue in your studies of the Holy Scriptures, gather with your immediate family for prayer and study, and pray earnestly for a true revival of the church that the Lord would open eyes and touch hearts and true Christ-honoring gatherings would be restored throughout our Nation. Continue being faithful, for our redemption draweth nigh!

Well, I guess this is something for a first-post, maybe I haven't made too many enemies right off the bat! God bless you all.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
B&C 180 Class

Nice to meet you pettingill. I am sorry that you have not found a good church home close to where you live. I know that can be very frustrating. I am blessed to say that the church I attend (and have attended since the day I was born) has been a Bible preaching church. We do not alter the Bible in any way. We take what the Bible tells us and we don't sugar coat it. I am almost 33 years old and our church is over 150 years old and has built it's foundation on teaching God's word, NOT our word.
I do believe God wants us to be part of a church family. But that said... one has to be very careful because many churches are VERY inviting and great looking on the outside but then they end up being all about themselves. It's sometimes very difficult to find a church that truly teach God's word. Good luck to all of you and if I can help in any way please let me know.

Nice to meet you again... May God Bless you as well!