fallin of the wagon - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Christian Corner
Christian Corner Christian Talk Only in this Forum. Discuss Bible Topics, Post Prayer Requests, Etc.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 AM

It was a rare event when Jesus chose to teach inside, but instead formed impromtude (spell?) outdoor gatherings for his teachings. I believe he chose where he was most comfortable in God' arena of the great outdoors, where Mother Nature was his greatest achievement. The very best part of all of this is we get to decide what works best for us and our creator to form a working relationship based on truth, faith, love and admiration for his creation accomplishments and the admission of our sins for forgiveness.

Here is a bedtime prayer that I say every night, I find great comfort in it as it smoothes the mind and soul before sleep.

Dear heavenly father, I ask for your forgiveness for the sins that I have have committed against you this past day. I am truly sorry for all my sins and I ask for your forgiveness through my lord and savior Jesus Christ. Thank you God for hearing my prayer, amend.
For over 12 years this is how I finish my day! This might not be in church but I know he hears it anyway an it works well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

Great post HM. I sincerely believe all Christians have a different relationship with God. Just like if you have a brother or sister... your relationship with your parents is different for you than it is for your siblings. Same thing. Yes, most do look similar in some way, but that doesn't mean they can look alot different for some. Do I believe you have to go to church to go to heaven? NO. Does God want you to go to church? Yes. I believe the most important thing about being a Christian and being close to God is that you have a CLOSE and PERSONAL relationship with God. That relationship is yours and yours alone. NO one goes to heaven through someone else. I think our society has that stuck in their heads... that if you know someone who knows God that's good enough. NOPE. God wants a relationship with you. A close relationship.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
... I don't go to church to satisfy myself, but to worship God. I do agree that worship can take place anywhere and at anytime. But when I don't go to church for any period of time I personally feel empty. The church is God's house. ...
A well written reply, and one I can appreciate. But I agree with HM more. The whole world is God's house, as he created (if you believe) the heavens and the earth, the skies above, the ground below. God should be everywhere, which is why I don't confine myself to four walls. I can find my religion in the breeze off the glacier, the eagles soaring in the sky, the pounding of the surf on the rocks, the ripple of the wind thru the spruces.

I can understand your need to "get back on the wagon", but don't feel that if you don't walk inside those four walls that you're any less in touch with your religion. Take the family out on Sunday to a nice grassy knoll in a sunny, flowering meadow and hold your own services by talking together about your beliefs. I think you'll find yourself just as a part of the spirituality as sitting in a pew.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

Hellbilly,
As an old pastor told me, "There ain't no Lone Ranger Christians!"
We are made for community and fellowship.
Yes when I go way out in a stand and sit there all day I do get feelings to bail.
But my question to myself is where you gonna go? And as you Tator, said, I don't have a religion I have a personal relationship with my Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ. Fall and fail, yep I think thats my battle cry but the Voice of Truth tells me different. I can't go to Canada and drink directly out of the lake or sit in a stand and not appreciate The Lord.
But I still don't miss "church" on Sunday morning, it's just what I do!
daddus
PS You are in prayer my brother
Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 PM
B&C 180 Class

With all due respect scorpion, i understand and respect your stance and your point of view. I have a Sunday School teacher whom has been my teacher for the past 20+ years (I'm blessed to have such a Godly husband and wife teach my class) and he said something that has stuck with me for many, many years. "if you think you can be a Christian without attending some sort of worship with other believers, you're kidding yourself". I agree mostly with this statement, however, I do believe you can be a Christian and not go to church and still go to heaven (i.e. scorpion). That is my belief. Now, do I believe that's what God wants? No. I sincerely believe God wants you to be plugged in. You are correct when you say you can get your "fill" out in nature, I do the same because God's creation is awesome! But being plugged in a worship group helps you grow as a Christian. When you started kindergarten you went to school and you learned from your teachers because they knew everything you needed to know and they knew how to relay it to you so you could understand. Even up into high school, your teachers were there to teach you because they were professionals on the material they taught. Eventually you master the skills and tasks you learned in school and you use them in your life every day. Well the same goes for church. I rely on the people in my church who can teach me. I am hungry and I want more and more. To stop going to church, for me, would be like saying "ok I have mastered everything I need to know". God's word (BIBLE) is complex and somewhat hard to follow and understand. There are so many things I have missed in my almost 33 years in scripture that absolutely shocks me that I missed it when I read it. I would have never found that unless someone showed me.. this is where church comes into play. My pastor, my teachers and my peers.
Please understand that church is NOT something I attend just because I should. Or just because I always have. I attend because I WANT TO. My cup is constantly running out and if I don't attend it runs dry. I need to be filled up or else I run out and my life becomes all about me. I slowly start the transition to worshiping other things, other gods like time, money, possessions, and less and less time worshiping the one TRUE God. My church is my family. The people there lift me up, they fill my cup and most importantly they hold me accountable- this is something I WANT them to do.

I hope I have not upset you in any way. These are my feelings, these are my beliefs and I'll never change from them. I hope I can encourage you to find a church family and get plugged in. If not every week, maybe every other week. If not every other week, maybe once a month? I think you will find a true blessing in being plugged into a community like a true God-loving church.

God's creations are awesome, I see that everyday I wake when I see my wife and my kids. He gave them to me. I am blessed that way. I also go to church to give thanks to Him for choosing to love me. He didn't have to die on the cross for my sins, but he did. So giving him two hours a week for church worship is absolutely fine with me.

I have enjoyed talking with you about this- and again, I hope I have not offended you or upset you. From hearing you talk, I feel as though you have a strong relationship with God and His Son and I hope your relationship continues to grow and strengthen.

God bless
Old 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
My cup is constantly running out and if I don't attend it runs dry.
Actually, you just nailed your "need". In essence, you need to find out what in your life is making your cup run dry. If going to church fills it back up, then more power to you. If a walk in the woods is what is needed, then that's awesome too. It works for me.

Quote:
I have enjoyed talking with you about this- and again, I hope I have not offended you or upset you. From hearing you talk, I feel as though you have a strong relationship with God and His Son and I hope your relationship continues to grow and strengthen.
I enjoy the discussion, but I won't mislead you. Haven't been in a church since I was raised Roman Catholic at age 16, and I don't subscribe to the "only 1" god anymore. I find that my gods, be they nature, my emotional link to my family, my hobbies and activities that refill my cup .... they don't subscribe to a single deity. And when I say "the gods" in plural, I mean that. There is goodness or godness to be found in many things and places. If you want to believe that a single god created all of this, then enjoy that and we'll continue to have a good discussion. The aliens when we meet them, may have a different take on things. And the other half of the world that comprises the non-Christian religions such as Islam (approximately 50% of the world population) all think you're wrong too.

Come judgement day, somebody is going to be very wrong, and very very surprised. Me? I'll just be happy and a good person until then anyway.

You know, I knew the basic 10 Commandments before I went to Sunday Catchecism. An interesting fact that those exact "commandments" predate Judaism or Christianity and can be found in all of the pre-Christian religions, be they Summerian, Hitiite, Egyptian, or whatnot. They are just basic good rules. I don't need a religion to tell me that.

What I find in my gods (plural) is a basic tenant to be a good person, do no wrong, be a family man, be loving and caring and treat others the way I want them to treat me. I can do that without anybody's book be it the Bible, the Quoran, or Chiltons.

It is a good discussion!

Last edited by Scorpion8; 07-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM
B&C 180 Class

The 'thing' that makes my cup run dry is that I'm a sinner and I'm human. When I go too long without worshiping with my church family, my 'cup' (or my life) runs dry. What I'm meaning is not that I stop becoming a Christian or that I stop loving God, it's that I sort of lose touch with other believers and that makes my life run dry. Going back to what I said, church is not only for me, I like to think I uplift others in my church family too.

Sadly, I have to disagree with you on the gods thing. There is only one God in my life. No tree, rock, animal or object is a "god" to me- although, God did make those things and I do appreciate that and acknowledge that. God is the beginning of everything. He was "around" before the beginning of time- He created those trails that you walk in nature. God is also the One who sent His only Son to earth to die on the cross for my sins and your sins. His death was a gift to us. He paid the price for our sins. My trust, hope and faith is in ONE God. That is where I believe we'll have to stop the discussion. I am not "open" to accept any other views on this- I can respect your stance (and I do) but I do not feel as though God wants me to treat the things of this world as a god - and I lower case god here because there is only one God.

I agree with you on the 50% of the world-view on God. Does that change my mind? No. Are we living in a "lost" world? Yes.

The Bible is God's word. I live my life through it and by it (at least I try to!). Yes, Godly men wrote the passages, but God gave them the words and wisdom to write with. There are no other books that I will live my life by. The Bible is a tool for life. You can literally find an answer to every problem that has ever happened- IN THE BIBLE.

Thank you for the discussion, I am going to continue to pray for you. I am done here. Tator OUT! :)
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM

This is a good discussion! Everyone gets to believe in what they wish too and yes in the end someone will be correct. There are many mysteries out there yet to be solved and our understanding of history will be rocked soon......... We are without question decendants of a much older civilization way beyond our 10K estimation. This in no way changes how I believe but history will be different and shock many.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

1 Timothy 2:5
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM
B&C 120 Class

Sorry, I know you said you were done, but ...

Quote:
The 'thing' that makes my cup run dry is that I'm a sinner and ...
Why are you a sinner? Why am I a sinner? Did I forget to put that on my schedule for the day, because I sure don't recall waking up and sinning. Haven't sinned since I got to work, and don't intend to sin later on because my calendar is pretty full already. Actually did a few good deeds today, so where I'm classified as a sinner for the day just isn't working for me.

Quote:
He created those trails that you walk in nature.
Actually Parks & Rec did, and the deer and bears made some of the others.

Quote:
1 Timothy 2:5
Bayern-Munich 3, Arsenal 1.

A wise man once said "God is in the details". What he meant, after much introspection, was that finding solace and peace in the little things was enough to fill his cup. The resolve of a rock that has resisted glacial erosion for thousands of years. The subtle perfection of an eagle in the sky. The peace that overcomes you when you watch hundreds of thousands of salmon swim up river to spawn and die, knowning that this is the natural order of things and the way it was meant to be for them. They need no god, they create no sin. In the absence of sin (and the key is who gets to define that you have sinned) then why is a god needed to absolve you? Especially if you just wake up again tomorrow as a sinner (by somebody's definition).

A grand discussion!

Yea, neither of us will convince the other of right-wrong, or which book to read. (Aw come on, I found that Chilton's remark to be killer-funny!) You read the bible, and if it makes you a better person then I cannot be happier for you. Pray for me? Thanks, perhaps a wiser use of time would be to pray for common-sense in politics to return in this country.

I once stood at a fence in my yard, listening to a neighbor on one side and another local neighbor arguing that they each knew, knew, knew, knew to the core of their being that the other one was going to hell. One was Mormon, one was Methodist.

I almost did handstands and cartwheels listening.

Last edited by Scorpion8; 07-20-2013 at 12:23 AM.