Well it's time - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default Well it's time

It's time to get off my backside and start getting in shape for bow season. It seems to get harder every year. Get out the old Mathews give it a check over make sure it's good for another year. Start shooting try to get up to 35 to 50 arrows a day shot. Get the exercise, which has been hard to come by this summer between work and 107* heat. Start walking a mile and try to get to three miles by end of Sept along with all the push ups and sit ups.

Time to start working up the food plots and hang the stands. Oh what a wonderful time of year.

May not sound like much but me it will be like climbing Mt Leconte.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM

you and me both.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 PM
B&C 160 Class

Its hard to get focused after 50
I'm trying as hard as anyone
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM
B&C 160 Class

You got that right, but I still got the want to.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 PM

at 58 I have plans to bow hunt the UP of Michigan early Oct, PA early Nov, not sure either Ohio or PA gun season and end up ML hunting Ohio and PA after Jan 1st. I don't have the get up go and as I once did but there is still some left in the tank and I hope it lasts for several more years. As I have aged I tend to enjoy the set-up/chess game of the hunt and stand time more than the kill which we all probably cycle to. I've said it before I have been very fortunate to have a great close group of family and friends to hunt and fish with, I can't put into words the enjoyment of all those years gone by! It's all about the memories: past, present and those to come.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 AM
B&C 160 Class

And that's what is all about. I have seen so many of my old hunting buddies drop out of the sport. It makes me wonder why I still love it so much, yes I have killed a lot of deer and some nice bucks, but it is really more than that. It is much more than the thrill of the kill, it's all the things you mentioned HM and more. The fact that we still drag our butts of a warm bed well before daylight and get out in the weather to challenge our outdoor skills is something that many people will never understand. I don't hunt just to kill, although a full freezer is a good thing, it is really all the things that come with the hunting that keeps me going. Ok I will admit it here, I'm addicted, I am a fanatic and this slight change in the temps here in TN has got me running like a buck in rut.:)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 AM

Buckshot you are not alone although this year I have not had the desire like I usually have. I usually shoot at least a doz. arrows everyday all year & I just started shooting every day only a few weeks ago. could be that I had to pass on the annual NY trip this year as money is a little tight & Youth weekend falls on the week i would be gone. Nothing against my hunting partners but hunting with my kids come first. Best times I have hunting is with my kids but like you said temps changing we have been in the 40's at night the last few nights & I think it lit a fire under me because now I can't wait for Sept 15th

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well I've got you all beat- at 32, (just had a b-day this past Mon) I haven't even touched my bow in about 5 months. With Sept 15th fastly approaching, I may only have a week or two to really fine tune my bow and myself before the season is on me. With a 4 y/o and a 1 y/o and a wife, it's hard to find time to do anything - not that I hate being with them, b/c I love being a family man. Sometimes I feel selfish when I start thinking I'd rather be out hanging stands or something else,, but each husband or daddy needs SOME time off to enjoy the outdoors.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM
B&C 160 Class

Slinging garbage at work,arrows at home year round and running 4miles a day.Play hard at cabin on w.ends and run it off every Sunday nite.That is pure torture.Anyway im ready!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 AM

well shot great last night I have found that I need to shoot only one or two arrows now but hold at full draw as long as I can my only issue from not shooting as much this year will be ready by the 15th

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright