Toys really?? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Scrub Buck

Question Toys really??

I will start off by saying that I do not want to offend anyone but sence we are all supposed to be hunters and gun owners and sportsmen on here,I feel that it is wrong for many on here to refer to a gun as a toy.Im 68 yrs.old and have hunted and owned guns for 55 of those years and I dont consider them toys.As sportsmen we want to be seen in a good light and I dont think that is a very good way. " A GUN IS A TOOL NO BETTER AND NO WORSE THAN THE PERSON USING IT" We are not the only forum that does this,let us try to be the one that doesnt. Thank You lwb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

When i buy new plumbing tools ,they are new toys to me
I still use them carefully
Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 AM
B&C 100 Class

call them what you want as long as they are used safely is my opinion
Old 07-15-2012, 01:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

Let me start by saying that I, too, am 68 years old, so, like you, I've seen a lot a of changes toward guns over the many decades. If you go back far enough, I'm sure you'd find that most people thought of guns as tools - nothing more. At first they were used as tools to get food on the table. They were also used as tools to protect oneself and one's family. They were also tools of war, etc. But that has changed over the years. For good or bad, guns have become a whole lot more than tools, and they mean different things to different people and groups. To some, they represent nothing but evil - terrorists, assassins, felons; basically, they represent a threat to one's safety and way of life. To others, they represent human's degradation of the planet as they have been used to kill "defenseless" animals and drive some species toward endangerment and extinction. They are symbols of status to lot a of folks - especially sportsman, "I have more guns in my safe than you." (I am more successful than you.) And, yes, many consider them "toys" (things that really aren't necessary, but are fun to use.) Of course, they have been politicized to death by both major politcal parties. (If you see a guy driving down the street in a pickup with an NRA sticker on the bumper, can you even imagine he's a Democrat!) So, it's pretty hard to just look at a gun any more as only a tool. There just has been too much baggage attached to guns, their use and ownership. Personally, I would like to think of them as tools, period; unfortunately, that may just not be where we are as a society any more.

Last edited by onehorse; 07-15-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:14 PM
B&C 120 Class

I agree with One Horse.They are tools.I take pride in my tools.My guns are few but well used and cared for.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Scrub Buck

I agree with One Horse in all that he said,I just feel that it would be wrong for me to refer to a gun as a toy when Im trying to teach safe handling of a gun to three grandsons, by handing them a gun and say here is a new toy to play with. That is why I think its a bad habit to call any gun a toy.It is easy enough for youngsters to pick up bad habits and disrespect for things and people." ment no harm just my opinion". lwb.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 PM

I call them simply for what they are, firearms. People call trucks= toys, 4-wheelers= toys, boats=toys, the list goes on and on, things have changed over the years but I can see why guns should not be called toys. I won't loose any sleep tonight though.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 AM

well sorry to say some of mine are tools & some are just for fun I don't think I every called them a toy but I have a few that I guess you would call a toy. No offence & not trying to start anything but who cares what someone calls it as long as it is used properly? nothing wrong with someone who gets exited about a new purchase & say's look at my new toy. Do you kill or Harvest? Sorry I Kill tired of having to be so P.C. just my opinion

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 07-16-2012, 06:26 AM

I don't care what or how a person refer's to his/her weapon as long as he/she uses it safely and responsibly.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
well sorry to say some of mine are tools & some are just for fun I don't think I every called them a toy but I have a few that I guess you would call a toy. No offence & not trying to start anything but who cares what someone calls it as long as it is used properly? nothing wrong with someone who gets exited about a new purchase & say's look at my new toy. Do you kill or Harvest? Sorry I Kill tired of having to be so P.C. just my opinion

Good posting gfd