Deer Hunting Forums banner

Toys really??

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
I will start off by saying that I do not want to offend anyone but sence we are all supposed to be hunters and gun owners and sportsmen on here,I feel that it is wrong for many on here to refer to a gun as a toy.Im 68 yrs.old and have hunted and owned guns for 55 of those years and I dont consider them toys.As sportsmen we want to be seen in a good light and I dont think that is a very good way. " A GUN IS A TOOL NO BETTER AND NO WORSE THAN THE PERSON USING IT" We are not the only forum that does this,let us try to be the one that doesnt. Thank You lwb.:confused:

#4 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying that I, too, am 68 years old, so, like you, I've seen a lot a of changes toward guns over the many decades. If you go back far enough, I'm sure you'd find that most people thought of guns as tools - nothing more. At first they were used as tools to get food on the table. They were also used as tools to protect oneself and one's family. They were also tools of war, etc. But that has changed over the years. For good or bad, guns have become a whole lot more than tools, and they mean different things to different people and groups. To some, they represent nothing but evil - terrorists, assassins, felons; basically, they represent a threat to one's safety and way of life. To others, they represent human's degradation of the planet as they have been used to kill "defenseless" animals and drive some species toward endangerment and extinction. They are symbols of status to lot a of folks - especially sportsman, "I have more guns in my safe than you." (I am more successful than you.) And, yes, many consider them "toys" (things that really aren't necessary, but are fun to use.) Of course, they have been politicized to death by both major politcal parties. (If you see a guy driving down the street in a pickup with an NRA sticker on the bumper, can you even imagine he's a Democrat!) So, it's pretty hard to just look at a gun any more as only a tool. There just has been too much baggage attached to guns, their use and ownership. Personally, I would like to think of them as tools, period; unfortunately, that may just not be where we are as a society any more.

#6 ·
I agree with One Horse in all that he said,I just feel that it would be wrong for me to refer to a gun as a toy when Im trying to teach safe handling of a gun to three grandsons, by handing them a gun and say here is a new toy to play with. That is why I think its a bad habit to call any gun a toy.It is easy enough for youngsters to pick up bad habits and disrespect for things and people." ment no harm just my opinion". lwb.

#8 ·
well sorry to say some of mine are tools & some are just for fun I don't think I every called them a toy but I have a few that I guess you would call a toy. No offence & not trying to start anything but who cares what someone calls it as long as it is used properly? nothing wrong with someone who gets exited about a new purchase & say's look at my new toy. Do you kill or Harvest? Sorry I Kill tired of having to be so P.C. just my opinion

#11 ·
Tator guess I am just getting older & sick of all the crap that is going on in this country not going into it any deeper then that!!!
just call it what you want, do what you feel is right

#13 ·
I hear ya man,, tired of people telling me and my family what I HAVE to do or pay for. Hence, health care bill. Granted, we already have health insurance, but to be forced to have it is a whole other deal.

Same goes for this, I get where the original poster (forgot who it was) is coming from, but seriously... some people call them toys because they have fun with their weapons. They enjoy shooting them as much as they loved playing with match-box cars when they were kids. Now, I agree that anyone who shoots any type of gun needs to be a responsible person and they need to know how to use, fire, load and unload their gun properly. But as far as calling it a toy, who cares?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.