Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Campfire (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/)
-   -   garden (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/campfire/9581-garden.html)

Kansasdoe 05-12-2012 02:57 PM

garden

Well once again I can't get pics to upload on here so I guess I'll have to just tell you about my garden. I've got 7 rows of sweet corn about knee high. 2 and a half rows of beans that just came up. Two rows of peas that are almost ready to pick. Way to much lettuce (again). Two rows of potatoes that look like they should bloom soon. 63 tomato plants that my hubbys gonna have to help me stake up cause i only have enough cages for half. (He's not gonna like this but he went on a hog hunt on mothers day weekend so he'll have to help!). I've only got 10 pepper plants this year cause i think the seeds i started were old. I've also got carrots, onions and radishes. Anyone else been playing in the dirt?

Kansasdoe 05-12-2012 02:58 PM

And cucumbers and sunflowers that came up by the back patio on their own.

Hunting Man 05-12-2012 09:21 PM

zuchinni spell?, beans, tomato, broccoli, cucumbers, lots of flowers planted today

buckfever 05-13-2012 09:39 PM

I planted mine several weeks ago. Here is my list.

Corn (double delicious)
Corn (kandy corn)
Kale
Brussel Sprouts
Broccolli
Onions
Garlic
3 variety of bell peppers
Cayenne peppers
Tomatoes
Squash
Cucumber
Watermelon
Bush Beans

Still need to do some okra and I should be all set.

I love playin in the dirt!

deerhuntr 05-30-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansasdoe (Post 69863)
Well once again I can't get pics to upload on here so I guess I'll have to just tell you about my garden. I've got 7 rows of sweet corn about knee high. 2 and a half rows of beans that just came up. Two rows of peas that are almost ready to pick. Way to much lettuce (again). Two rows of potatoes that look like they should bloom soon. 63 tomato plants that my hubbys gonna have to help me stake up cause i only have enough cages for half. (He's not gonna like this but he went on a hog hunt on mothers day weekend so he'll have to help!). I've only got 10 pepper plants this year cause i think the seeds i started were old. I've also got carrots, onions and radishes. Anyone else been playing in the dirt?

That's honestly a little inspirational I really wish I could get a good beautiful garden going.

tator 05-31-2012 11:34 AM

I have two gardens going this year. Both are decent size, but not huge. I got 4 rows of peaches and cream sweet corn, 6 rows of green beans, 24 tomato plants (12 big boy, 6 grape tomatoes, and 6 early girls), 6 hills of cucumbers, 4 hills of green peppers, 8 hills of watermelon. So should have some good produce this year.

Love watching them grow, but LOATHE weeding the garden.

A person I work with told me a good tip that I never thought of before. Instead of buying straw for your tomatos or in between your rows, rake up your dead grass from when you mowed (after it turns brown) and lay it down in your rows and around your tomato plants. She said it actually works better than straw.

Kansasdoe 05-31-2012 08:26 PM

Grass clippings do work really good to keep the weeds down. I need to get some and put by my tomatoes. My sweet corns all tasseled out already. Sunflowers are in full bloom. I think I have pumpkins by my back door instead of cucumbers.

tator 06-01-2012 07:23 AM

I heard something pretty clever last year from an old man who sold me some sweet corn (since I had none after the coons ate it all).. He said, use Cheyane Pepper. What you do is when the corn first start to tassel out, sprinkle a healthy dose on the silts. Coons will leave that alone and they won't be back. He said his daddy swore by it for over 50+years and now he does it.
My wife and I are members of Sam's Club so we bough some Cheyane Pepper in bulk and it's not too expensive.

Some people had their doubts about it- as did I. Thinking the corn would be smoking hot from the pepper and it's not at all. The only thing is, you want to make sure you wash your hands after shucking it b/c if you forget and rub your eyes or go to the bathroom... well, you know. It's gonna burn. But as for making the corn hot, not in the least bit.

scribe 06-01-2012 06:46 PM

I don't have a garden but my local Krogers seems to be well stocked. When the maters get right, my neighbor's garden will provide all I need.

:wink:

riktravel 06-02-2012 06:08 AM

hi

i here no garden here online complex city i m unless to experience share my gardening