raising chickens-- HELP!! - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM
B&C 120 Class

I'm gonna have to think on that one. I used to start out at a temp that seemed comfortable for them. So they weren't piled ontop of each other but not scattered far away from the light. I guess they would lie kind of in a circular spot under the light and I just learned from watching and listening to them that they were comfy and then I'd lower the temp by about 5 degrees a week. I would put up a small cardboard ring around them in the coop to keep them closer to the light and gradually make it larger so they'd have more room. When they're big enough to fly over the ring that was about 2 ft tall I gave up and would take it down. Make sure you sprinkle their feed with chick grit so they get somebody that in their diet and until they're a few weeks old you'll have to make sure they're buts don't get pasted shut with poop. If they do you'll have to soak it with some water and gently remove it. If you have any more questions ask away. Ill be glad to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM

They will nest right next to each other. They usually find a favorite spot. Either on the left or right hand side of the nest and that is where they will lay from then on. They usually lay their eggs at different times of day so its not like all 10 hens will be there at once. If its just 2 or 3 they will just slide in next to each other.

As far as heat they say 95 for week 1, 90 for week 2 and so on. Minus 5 degrees each week. I dont monitor the temp. Just watch your chicks. If they are huddled under the lamp they are to cold. If they form a ring around the outside of the lamp they are to hot. You want them to just move freely around under the lamp. Start your heat lamp out low and just slowly start raising it higher and higher until around week 5 or 6 or until the outside temp stays warm. You will notice when their wings start forming and they start jumping and hopping around the heat lamp becomes less important.

They also claim feed them "Sugar Water" for the first week. I dont know why but we did it. I have no idea the mixture.

Are you getting these from 4-H or Tractor Supply. Both places will have leaflets that will fill you in on what small stuff you need to do.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Chickens.....

We have about 5 chickens and 2 roosters - Rhode Island reds are great to start with. There is another breed called sex-link that are also great egg producers. Handle the rooster a lot when it is young so it is use to you, being handled and will stay calmer.

Roost is where they go to sleep at night.

The other is where they lay the eggs. We let ours out and they eat a ton of bugs, kids love them.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM
B&C 180 Class

Thanks everyone for the useful tips- I have learned alot just reading your posts. Did some work on the coop and pen this weekend. Got the post holes dug and posts in the ground for the pen and began working on the walls of the coop. Probably going to be getting the chicks this week sometime, or maybe this weekend.

BF- We have a place here in Missouri called Orscheln's and it's a farm and home store kinda like tractor supply- I like ours better though! The only tractor supply around is about 35 miles away. Orscheln's is 5 miles away!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well I got my chickens last Saturday afternoon. Got me 10 Rhode Island Red's. They are good chicks... very well-manered. Plus, they are pretty calm acting.

In the process of finishing up the chicken coop. Got the fence up about 1/2 of the way and still need to get the inside of the coop done- this won't take long though.

I'll post some pics of the chicks in the near future.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
B&C 120 Class

How are the chicks doing? Post some pics when you get a chance. I'd love to see them.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 AM
B&C 120 Class

Just be sure you don't plant them too deep. I got 500 back in 1959 and either planted themt oo close together or too deep. They never did grow and I never messed with chickens again.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
B&C 180 Class

Chickens are getting big... I'll make sure to post pics soon,, haven't had time to even stop to take a pic! Working on the chicken coop this weekend, hopefully going to get it completed.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
B&C 180 Class

For those of you who care- I got my chicken coop about 75% of the way done this weekend. It's coming around very well. I have a little over 2 acres where I live and on the southern part of my property there was an old lean-to shed. Well I didn't it's location and so my father-in-law and I moved it to more behind the house. Once that was completed, it was time to make my coop. Got a pretty nice set up out there for them. PLENTY of room for them in their pen (pen is about 15'x25') and coop (coop is 8'x8' or 1/2 of the shed). I keep meaning to take some pics, but forget to. I'll have some time on my hands this evening so I'll have to snap a few and share.

Chickens are getting big. My fence around their pen is about 6' tall in most places and 5' tall in the other places. Will they be able to fly out of that???? My dad told me to clip one side of their wings so that they cannot fly... may have to do that. ??
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM
B&C 120 Class

They'll probably be able to fly over so you might have to clip a wing or cover the pen with netting. I wish I could have a few chicks. I'm jealous.