Step in the Wrong Direction? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
B&C 120 Class

A trail cam, although I do not use them, have many valuable uses. This device is nothing but a device to cover for an inability. If you say a deer has never snuck up on you, how do you know?

If you hunt much, especially bowhunt and in places besides wide open plains, it has happened to you. You may not know it, but it has. And as you get older, it will happen more often as your hearing and eyesight begin to decrease. I hunt most of the time in really thick stuff. From most of my stands, it is hard to see 30-yards. Happens to me all the time. Most of the time, I get a chuckle out of it. Sometimes, it freaks me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Like I said I think our age and the time period we began our life time pursuit has a lot to do with how we look at stuff. My son loves his trail cams and hunts about 1/4 mi from his feeder. In PA the closest thing we ever got to was food plots and I hunt quite a ways away from those. Understand I'm not knocking anything, just have a different perspective on how I look at hunting. I would like to see more youth be given the oppertunity to learn the woods and how deer interact with nature and then be able to decipher a plan to hunt them instead of hanging a feeder and a hunt from a heated shack and call that hunting. I think that teaches kids that harvesting is the only important part of hunting which makes it a sad senario to me. Everyone has a different take on this issue, I think some will agree with me and many will not. It's a good discussion for winter blahs though!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

I grew up hunting in deep swamps. I mean way deep. There were no roads, we went in by boat most of the time. There were very few deer. Mostly we squirrel hunted. I am dead certain squirrel hunting has no peer when it comes to learning woodscraft. It requires the use of all of the craft and senses. I learned well because I had three suprb mentors.

When I was 11, our three deer dogs ran an eight-point by me at 35-yards. I was shooting and L.C. Smith, 12 double with 32" full choke tubes. The double oughts dropped him inside 20 yards. I believe I may have had a heart attack. His head looks down on me as I write this. He has been re-mounted three times. I was hooked. It became my life's work.

Over the years, hunting in general and deer hunting in particluar became my avocation and my vocation. It is what I did at least 120-days a year. The rest of the time, I scouted and studied deer. That is what I did for a living. Naturally, I formed some opinions. One of the most important being, if it is legal and someone else wants to do it, it is fine with me. What someone else does, so long as it is legal, is not my problem.

Some technological advances did not bother me; some did. If I felt it gave the hunter an unfair advantage, I did not approve of it. If I felt it threatened the sport, wrote about it. Now if you want to start the boots, treestands, camo BS, I'll plead guilty. To this day, I can't see how a treestand is an advantage. But the key is unfair.

Shooting a deer with a spotlight is unfair. To me, shooting over bait is unfair. I don't use trail cams but I certainly don't think they are unfair. In fact, I think they cost hunters a lot of deer.

New rifles, faster bows...all that crap still depends on one thing, hunter proficiency. That is not unfair. To me, a device that warns when an animal is near, removes hunter proficiency from the equation. That is unfair. Bait removes the entire hunting aspect. You just sit there and shoot. Not for me but I don't care if someone else does it sao long as it is legal. A device that tell me a deer is walking behind...that is unfair. I should have heard him.

Oh, maybe I didn't mention, I am deaf.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 PM

Late season cedar swamp bow hunting in Michigan's UP, those are fond memories also some of the coldest times I've ever experienced. I tried to describe how cold a cedar swamp can be to those who have never had the pleasure and I said climb into a freezer (not literally) for about 8 hours and you will begin to have an idea what cold is. Growing up in NW Ohio I did a lot of duck and goose hunting with some small game also. I started deer hunting at age 11. It took several years to be successful but I learned along the way mostly by myself. I was able to get my dad and brother to join me deer hunting in PA and had many years with them. They are both hunting a different place now but those were great times. Never got over the time I lost my Dad's favorite Ithaca model 37 in Lake Erie... that's another story. I think we can all agree that hunting is a good thing and doing it your own way is the only thing that really matters.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 AM
B&C 120 Class

I moved to TN from WY so I had an idea what cold is. One year, back in the 60's, I spent three days snowed in in a tent up in the Tetons. The warmest it got was -20 with a howling wind. Thank God for Coleman fuel, sterno and elk stew. Have never been that cold since and dang sure don't want to. Still have a couple places that peel every winter from the frostbite.

I have come to like lows in the 30's and highs in the 70's. 19 here this morning with 1/2 inch of snow. I'm heading for AL in an hour.