Deer Hunting Forums banner

Sorta Looking Forward To It.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  deerhuntr 
#1 ·
I leave Friday for a four day hunt in AL. The rut is red hot where I am going, bucks running like mad and the weather is ideal. This will wrpa my season up and in the four day I will be guiding a young man with cerebral palsy on a dream hunt organized by a foundation.
I have done several of these and they always make me feel fortunate.

This year, it hits a little closer to home. A month ago, my son (35) was diagnosed with a rare form of myscular dystrophy. Maybe me doing something for this young man will help ease his problems.
So in a way, I am dreading it but in a way, I am looking forward to it. I need a few woods days and I have always loved prowling the swamp down there.

#3 ·
Well, had a great hunt. I killed a doe quickly the first night and passed four or five bucks I didn't want to shoot. My partner from here, killed a fair 8. My young man did get a shot.
After some scouting, I picked out a stand I knew we would see deer from, at least, does. He got see a lot of deer and finally took a shot at about 50 yards but it wasn't to be. Still, he claimed it was a great hunt. Fine young man and for sure, I took away far more than I brought to the hunt.
Mountaintop Outdoors is a great organization and did a super job making it a big weekend for this young man.
My season is over, it ended with a 215-yard shot and a fat doe for number nine. Now, it is time to start moving a stand or two, put a new one or two and catch some fish.

:biggrin:

#4 ·
Scribe, congrats on your hunt/experience. Had to be a special time for you. Very sorry to hear of your son's illness.
I started putting hunting boxes up in the garage today as it was 54* here pretty unusual for mid January in NW Ohio! I need to get up in the attic and straighten things up there. A collection of 25 years of stuff needs to go. I also use the winter nights to clean the vault occupiers.

#6 ·
LOL- 67 yesterday, in the 20's last night and a high of 30 today. Action in AL was great in the mornings, bucks everywhere with early morning temps in the mid-20's. I did not hunt mornings, spent that time scouting for a hot spot. But the five guys hunting killed three 8's, one a good one and one real nice 10 for AL. In the afternoons, I saw four bucks but all baskets. Since I don't care anything about horns anymore, I hunt when it is comfortable. I did fish for an hour one afternoon and caught 7 bass from 1-5 pounds. They were up on the sunny banks around structure. made for a good trip. When/if this weather ever stabilizes, I think we will have a good spring for fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.