Devastating Deer Disease? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Campfire
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
B&C 120 Class

Hunting Man, keep in mind you live and hunt in a state with what, a million deer hunters? I live in a state with about 198,000. Our deer herd is just under 800,000 animals, give or take, we kill, this year, less than 170,000. I believe you can see why we need to liberalize the doe kill in some areas.

As for antler restrictions, point count never has worked. The only that really has any positive impact is a combination of points and inside spread. 8/16 will work but how do you enforce it? Pretty hard to measure one on the run .

Regarding PA. I laughed my butt off. ALT gave the hunters exactly what they asked for and told them in advance what would happen.

And it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

yea, it's been a bad experience. I need to look at some new states to hunt. I keep reading how good KY and Tenn have become! Their not far from Ohio.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM
B&C 120 Class

Here is what you should look at:

TN-plenty of deer, liberal doe limit, 3-buck limit, long season that runs straight through. Basically, archery opens the fourth Saturday in Sept and runs until Jan 1. Muzzleloaders are legal starting in early Nov. and runs through Jan. 1, Rifles are legal from the Sat. before Thanksgiving through Jan.1. Middle and west TN are the best and there is quite a bit of public ground most of which receives moderate pressure and none gets anything like Ohio or PA. Trophy potential is average. 130 class is realistic but of course, they are not behind every tree.

KY-again, mid to west part of the state is best. Seasons vary but long bow season. 1 buck limit and some real trophies. Don't know much about public land but access to good private ground takes some work.

In my humble opinion, having hunted in PA, either state would be like a breath of fresh air. It is quite possible to hunt on public land and not see another hunter. If you wish to hunt in TN. I will steer you to 21,000 acre public land that is just about underhunted except for maybe an opening day. Quite possible to hunt and not see another hunter. Takes some real boot leather scouting to learn it but well worth it. Some years back, I killed two bucks with a bow that exceeded 130" and 2-ryrs. later killed a 145 with a mzl. However, let me say again, takes some real boots on the ground scouting and some true woodsmanship.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
B&C 120 Class

Sorry Volhunter, I did not see your last post. Contact Daryl Ratascak(sp) at TWRA headquarters it is pronounced ratajack. 1-800-624-7406. He scored both of them. I know one of the hunters and that deer was killed in Cheatham Co. I am not positive on the other, may have been Williamson. Both could score either way but topped the 180's non-typ and went in the mid 60's typ.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
B&C 100 Class

Yeah I know who Ratascak is. Never got to sit and talk with him personally, but I have heard a few of my friends say he is a "ok" guy. Few of them weren't big fans of him though. I have to say that those are some nice deer! My buddy got a typical 10 point that went 168 1/8 in rifle just down the road from my farm.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 AM
B&C 120 Class

Any time you have to make tough decisions that benefit wildlife and don't agree with hunters, you have some who aren't big fans. By far best big game bio. we have ever had even if he is a Yankee feller. He is a big believer in working hard and earning your pay. That is kinda new here.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 PM

having to work to get a paycheck, what a novel idea. Maybe Obama should consider that he might even get a few conservative votes. Ohio DNR has done a fairly good job mananging our deer herds, PA not so good. How about other state's DNR how do you feel they are doing?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
that's too bad... keep that disease down there! Here in MO, they check just about every animal taken to a processor for CWD
Can you explain me why it is Bad??